PDA

View Full Version : Aquatrader EVO Quad LED Reef Light. Waste or Wise Purchase??

Rinks
02/14/2013, 11:21 AM
So I have been following the reviews and there has been a lot of discussion about the aqua trader website and their led lights. My question to you guys is does the quad led light satisfy the needs of softies and sps? I have the link and specs below.

Fixture Size: 47.00" x 9.25" x 1.25" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 64
8640 Lumens
Super energy efficient 3 watt high output LEDs
48x 10,000K LED
16x Actinic 460nm LED
Use 192 watts

http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-...ht-p/56237.htm

kingpin9995
02/15/2013, 01:58 PM
For the money I don't think there is a comparison to the Evergrow remote IT2040 light. It's totally programmable with even a remote control. You can get it for about 315 bucks and the one without the programming is 180. Check it out. I love mine programmed from sunrise to sunset in half hour increments.

Rinks
02/15/2013, 11:11 PM
Hmm interesting I'm going to look into those. I already have the quad reef LEDs they look good, and are working good. After reading all the negative stuff I was like wow did I just buy garbage lol. I really like the fact that there are some LEDs that have a thunder storm effect. That is genius and completely natural to the animals.

r-balljunkie
02/16/2013, 07:03 AM
i dont think anything quality has been associated with the aquatrader name.

ive personally never owned any of their products, so i might be type casting.

Rinks
02/16/2013, 09:44 PM
My lfs guy basically convinced me to buy these over the marine land led reef capable setup. He told me they are a quarter of the price and same quality. I took his word and got them. Check out the pics and you guys can see what I'm working with.220454

Rinks
02/16/2013, 09:49 PM
Here is the other pic. Can't figure out how to post more than two pics in the same post.

michael.lemke
02/16/2013, 09:59 PM
Looks like you have good coverage.

bhazard451
02/16/2013, 11:46 PM
The LFS store is right. They are basically the same as the marineland reef capable. The problem is, they aren't fully reef capable. You can grow softies and most lps with it, but not sps. Color won't be optimal either.

If you want higher quality with a still low price, there are other really good Chinese OEM lights being talked about on the forum

Ron Reefman
02/17/2013, 04:52 AM
Your LFS is right, these are probably a slightly lower quality version of the Marineland led (whoever is making them is selling to both). I had a Marineland fixture they were giving away at the 2010 MACNA. Probably the 2 biggest mistakes Marineland has ever made, selling them in the first place and giving out samples to reef savy people at MACNA, these lights are pure junk. I talked to a Marineland rep at MACNA in Dallas last fall and it was all I could do to keep from laughing in his face as he gave me the sales pitch and ducked every basic problem they have with these lights. If they were smart they'd drop the line as I think it damages their reputation. The spot where the power cord plugs into the light corroded away in just over a year. And over a very shallow frag tank it barely kept zoas and softies alive.

Rinks
02/17/2013, 07:38 PM
Lol wow Ron that sounds like riot. Thanks for the feedback on this ones guys. I'm going to run these for a while and stay away from the sps. My softies do pretty good with it for now. The only problem that I'm fighting now is browning sand. It's interesting because I have a large shroom colony and every time I do a water change I clean the brown sand and under the shroom colony (rock) is pure white sand! I'm almost wondering if the light is turning the sand brown.

takaiguchi
03/29/2014, 11:30 AM
I have this light as well. It's going really well. All corals and fish are doing great with it. I wish I could get my apex to control it though. Hmmmm.

billrob71
03/30/2014, 07:01 PM
I've had one of these fixtures over my frag tank for about a year, I did take it apart and removed some of the whites and added some more blues ,purples , couple greens , and couple reds. The only problems I've had and not the fault of the fixture at all was the end of light fell in the frag tank and I had to take apart and replace one of the switches due to saltwater are the switch , light worked fine since all the LEDs are soldiered on a aluminum board, and I dropped one of the drivers and had to take it apart to fix a contact. The fixture has been great and I have grown corals and clams under it.

For the money of what it costs it is tough to beat and now there using 5 watt led out put .

takaiguchi
05/25/2014, 09:55 AM
I've had one of these fixtures over my frag tank for about a year, I did take it apart and removed some of the whites and added some more blues ,purples , couple greens , and couple reds. The only problems I've had and not the fault of the fixture at all was the end of light fell in the frag tank and I had to take apart and replace one of the switches due to saltwater are the switch , light worked fine since all the LEDs are soldiered on a aluminum board, and I dropped one of the drivers and had to take it apart to fix a contact. The fixture has been great and I have grown corals and clams under it.

For the money of what it costs it is tough to beat and now there using 5 watt led out put .

Can you do a write up of how to do that mod? I'd love to do it. Did you notice a difference in overall color, algae growth or coral growth?

kevin_austin
05/25/2014, 11:39 AM
For the money I don't think there is a comparison to the Evergrow remote IT2040 light. It's totally programmable with even a remote control. You can get it for about 315 bucks and the one without the programming is 180. Check it out. I love mine programmed from sunrise to sunset in half hour increments.

Just wanted to mention that the cheaper version of this light is currently available for $135 (Ocean Revive U120).