PDA

View Full Version : Dipping Lps- brown slime problem

KatyMunoz
02/14/2013, 12:20 PM
Any suggestions of what to dip my torch corals into to get rid of brown slime?

I have read iodine, but the concentration levels are different every site I look on.

Also just to clarify, I'm not a newbie, even though I have limited amount of posts. Water parameters are fine (it's 100% not the issue). I'm thinking it was my urchin walking on some of the corals, tore some flesh, and bacteria set in, but I'd rather try something to save the corals, worse case scenario they die, but they are going to without treatment anyways.

Sugar Magnolia
02/14/2013, 12:31 PM
Are you sure it's not a brown jelly infection? Torches are prone to that. http://www.athiel.com/lib/bacterial.html

KatyMunoz
02/14/2013, 12:36 PM
yes, that is what it is brown slime=brown jelly, same thing. Its a bacterial infection, and I want to use a dip for it.

KatyMunoz
02/14/2013, 12:39 PM
Are you sure it's not a brown jelly infection? Torches are prone to that. http://www.athiel.com/lib/bacterial.html

I read that site, but if you read the exact portion about the dipping, even the persons own instructions are contradictory. First he says a 5%, and then a 10%.... leaving me right back where I started with being confused."Dip the affected area in water for about 3 to 4 minutes. You need to use saltwater and add iodine to the water to kill off the bacterial disease. How much iodine you add depends on the strength of the product you use. Some brands are 2 % solutions, others are 5 % and others yet are much stronger, 10 %. Of course Lugol's is even stronger and can be used as well. 10 to 20 drops of a 5 % solution to a 3 gallon bucket is what is usually recommended but it is best to check with someone in the know.
Note that overdosing on iodine can be a reason for bleaching (personal comm. Bruce Carlson) and only increases the problem. Dose the water correctly.
The best is to start with 10 drops of a 10 percent solution and repeat the bath a few times over a period of several hours. " that was from that site.

usmc121581
02/14/2013, 12:40 PM
yes, that is what it is brown slime=brown jelly, same thing. Its a bacterial infection, and I want to use a dip for it.

Hopefully you fair better, I have never saved a coral from it, your better off removing the coral from the system.

Sugar Magnolia
02/14/2013, 01:06 PM
Hopefully you fair better, I have never saved a coral from it, your better off removing the coral from the system.

Same results here.

KatyMunoz
02/14/2013, 01:13 PM
Well I can remove it from the system and

KatyMunoz
02/14/2013, 01:14 PM
Put it in another system but I'd like to dip it first, so either way I want a dip to try.

Sugar Magnolia
02/14/2013, 01:31 PM
Seachem's Reef Dip coral disinfectant is a good product.