PDA

View Full Version : 180 or 240

footballdude2k3
02/14/2013, 12:56 PM
Alright, I am planning a large build to start in the next 6-12 months. I have done small tanks in the past, but I have always been left wanting to upgrade, I am moving to either Texas or California in June or July, so I obviously do not want anything setup prior to that and would prefer to not buy the tanks until then so I do not have to move them. I want to make a fish list and build my tank around them, instead of getting a tank and planning my fish around that.

This will be an LPS reef with fish and inverts, the fish I want are below, I have a few tangs on here, and I realize that might mean multiple display tanks, but I thought I would be able to get at least a couple. I want either a 180 or 240, obviously the 240 would be better, but it depends on space and depending where I live, the extra weight might play a role as well.

Regal Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Either an Achilles or Whitecheek tang
Yellow Tank
Tail spot blenny
Picasso clown pair
ORA Blue madarin

As far as circulation goes, I have been a fan of VorTech since I got my first MP20, so I would like to get MP40's on a wavemaker for varied flow.

I want a 90 or 125 for a sump/refug, and either a 20 or 40 for a QT. Undecided on lights. Any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

Paul

C Dog
02/14/2013, 01:34 PM
I would do a 240 if you can afford it or space allows it. If you get the 180 sooner or later you will want to upgrade bigger. Might as well do it now.

As for the Vortechs if you are set on using them instead of a mp40s get mp60s.

I would shoot for the biggest sump you can use.

tigershark4
02/14/2013, 01:42 PM
I have a 180 that I just broke down to get a 225. I only had the 180 for about 5 months.
During that time I had two mp40 and I had to fix a friends mp60 the two mp60 could not keep up with the mp40. On the new tank I will run 2 mp60 and one mp40 on the back.
If you can afford the new radion pro LED that is what I would do. IF the new tank did not come with such a nice light I would be purchasing these. I am using a 125 G sump. keep in mind you only use about half the tank.
Good luck