PDA

View Full Version : Pair of clown fish and aggression intro to new tank

wakeupneo
02/14/2013, 01:50 PM
So I've have a pair of clown fish in my 30 gallon nano. They have been model citizens for about 9 months. Over the time one of the clowns started to outgrow the other(its almost twice the size) the smaller one also lost his orange and turned black.

Initially the larger orange clown was only being aggressive during feeding time, now its not longer an isolated event and it seems to be much more frequent. Ive heard that not many have had success in changing the fishes nature.

I and now curing a 140 gallon tank. My idea is to introduce the smaller one in first and leave the larger one in the nano for a couple of weeks. The theory being that the smaller one will have adapted to the new home and perhaps the larger would respect that its "his turf".

Does this make sense? Let me know what you all think.

Best!
John

ehaleyjr18
02/14/2013, 11:58 PM
What I have noticed having multiple pairs of different varieties of clownfish is that each variety act differently. Usually if they pair up well when young that will continue as they grow larger. The female will always dominate the male but not to the point of injuring the male. What I suspect is that you have 2 different varieties in a close area. I would try to match the female with a slightly smaller male of the same specie. The smaller male sounds like it is a black Ocelaris. I would pair him with in a different tank.

Daniel62
02/15/2013, 01:43 AM
This may not work, as your small I presume male, may start to turn into a female if all by himself in the new tank, and 2 females seldom if ever get along.