PDA

View Full Version : Stunted Angel Question

Curious George
02/14/2013, 04:48 PM
If you take a fish that may have been stunted and place it in a much larger tank with proper nutrition, can it grow closer to full size and live a naturally long life?

Long story short: My buddy had a Maculosus Angel that he had had in a 75 gallon tank for 3 years. It is only 4-5 inches long. I have it in my 240 now. It shows some signs of stunted growth, but not malnourishment. Larger eye than proportional to its body.

Thanks in advance.

cherubfish pair
02/14/2013, 06:10 PM
I would think a 75 wouldn't stunt a maculosus. But I've read where they need at least 100 gallons. 75 for a young one should have been okay.

Curious George
02/14/2013, 07:43 PM
I had a Mac about 10 years ago. He grew fast, like a French or a Queen. I had him in a 180 and in about a year, he was over 5 inches from 2 inches.

I thought after 3 years, this guy should be much bigger than he is. My Majestic is a slow grower. I've had him since he was half an inch and all juvie colors. He grew to 3 inches in 1 year and now puts on an inch a year.

I've seen Mac's over 18 inches and full bodied in a tank. I'm hoping he hasn't hit a growth wall and this is the biggest he will get (He's about 4.5 inches with a short dorsal streamer and I don't see any mapping in his tail). They are magnificent show fish and I plan on feeding the heck out of him with selcon and enhancers for the next year to see what happens.

Curious George
02/14/2013, 07:51 PM
Video makes me wonder. This wierdo grew out an Emporor in a 75. From the looks of the tank and the time he first tossed on LED's, the Emp is about 5 inches 2 years ago. It still grew to be a beast in a small tank and all. There is something missing from the old "Fish will grow to the size of the tank" BS. Something stunts the growth that can be removed from the equation to grow out a fish even in a grossly undersized environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tll5OU2KHkE

alton
02/15/2013, 06:32 AM
Nutrition is everything, the food on the market today is awesome compared to 15 years ago.