PDA

View Full Version : Recently switched to Randy's recipe from brs A&B. ??

gdubs97
02/14/2013, 05:26 PM
Made the switch to making my own a/b solutions since my tank gobbles up close to 130ml each per day. Levels were dead on while using bulk reef supply a & b. after switch, alkalinity has been increasing a lot. Obviously I need to decrease dosing, but I wanted to see if this was typical for anyone else that made the switch. Calcium has held steady after the switch. Thanks

Psirex
02/14/2013, 05:51 PM
Where can I the recipe?

ddmiller38
02/14/2013, 05:54 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#4

Psirex
02/14/2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks DD

nanotank
02/14/2013, 06:26 PM
Crazy question but is there a chance u used recipe 1 for alk and recipe 2 for the ca portion? Recipe 1 is 2x stronger then recipe 2. Maybe with brs u used the one with sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium carbonate??

bertoni
02/14/2013, 11:22 PM
My guess would have been that the BRS liquids were identical to Randy's recipes, since that's where they started. Were the BRS products solutions you made yourself? I don't know what they're selling anymore.

gdubs97
02/15/2013, 12:36 AM
I used Randy's recipe 1 for both alk and calc. There's always a chance I added too much baking soda??? I definitely used brs's sodium carbonate aka soda ash. I guess I just have to turn alk off until tomorrow and retest. I had it around 8.4 and today it tested at 10.5. I started the new recipe dosing about a week ago and did change my water this past Wednesday. Usually reef crystals makes my levels jump after a water change and I hadn't tested since right before I switched to the new recipe.

Crazy question but is there a chance u used recipe 1 for alk and recipe 2 for the ca portion? Recipe 1 is 2x stronger then recipe 2. Maybe with brs u used the one with sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium carbonate??

gdubs97
02/15/2013, 12:38 AM
Made the brs stuff myself. I'm guessing its against board policies to post a link so I won't. The stuff is soda ash for the alk and calcium chloride for the calc.

My guess would have been that the BRS liquids were identical to Randy's recipes, since that's where they started. Were the BRS products solutions you made yourself? I don't know what they're selling anymore.

bertoni
02/15/2013, 12:53 AM
The solutions should be the same strength then. I'm not sure what's happening, but I guess I wouldn't worry much.