PDA

View Full Version : Fish with Bubble Tumor

mann1139
02/15/2013, 06:48 AM
Almost two weeks ago I found my Banggai Cardinal lying on its side in the corner of my DT, looking in pretty bad shape. Originally I thought my Tomato Clown had attacked it, so I moved the Cardinal to my QT to nurse it back to health.

The worst wound the Cardinal had was a 'bump' over its left eye. That 'bump' has now blown up into a 'bubble' four times now since the wound occurred. It seems to be on a three day cycle:

1. Bump
2. Inflating to the size of the fish's eye
3. Deflating

The fish's gills also seems to be inflamed/damaged.

I have dosed Maracyn Two for five days, and now Maracyn Plus for five. Is there something else I should be dosing? Has anyone ever seen a bubble grow out of their fish like this?

keithhays
02/15/2013, 07:42 AM
This is not a tumor. It is a condition called exophthalmia or "popeye". It can have many causes as it results from a bacterial infection either locally to the eye it self or anywhere else in the fishes body such as the kidneys. Many times it will go away on its own, it is not contagious. This appears to be very pronounced, so I would treat in a QT with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Make sure that your Marycin 2 is for saltwater, otherwise switch to Marycin plus.

mann1139
02/16/2013, 06:22 AM
Keith -

Thanks so much. Your diagnosis is new but makes sense, and your treatment is what I have been following.

I had no idea that popeye was not always an 'eye' condition.

keithhays
02/16/2013, 06:41 AM
Keith -

Thanks so much. Your diagnosis is new but makes sense, and your treatment is what I have been following.

I had no idea that popeye was not always an 'eye' condition.

The area in and around the eye is the easiest place on the body for this to happen. Where exactly you see the bubble is dependent on the severity of the issue and the species of fish. The important thing to remember is that the eyes, both of them are always affected whether or not there is a protrusion. In many, but not all cases the fish will be fine afterward. There is a proportion however where the fish may be blinded by the process.