PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Complete???

zcdh21
02/15/2013, 08:02 AM
Hello, I just posted about my cycle yesterday, but I didn't expect this result today! On Monday my ammo was at 8ppm. Ammo went down by more than half each day until it was at zero on Thursday. Nitrites were over 5ppm each day (including yesterday evening). This morning I test for nitrite and ammo and both are a clear 0ppm. Nitrates are over 80ppm. Is my cycle complete? I have been cycling for nearly 4 weeks, but never saw any ammonia before I added the pure stuff from ace hardware on Monday. I have 25 lbs of cured live rock, 30 lbs of base rock, 20 lbs of marco rock, and 80 lbs (about 3 inches) of live sand in a 49 gal. tank. What should I do from here? Thanks!

Cymonous
02/15/2013, 08:08 AM
How long has your cycle been going on for? It does sound like it is complete. You may want to do a water change before adding any livestock though.

zcdh21
02/15/2013, 08:11 AM
I added LR and sand on Jan. 21 so I have been cycling for 25 days including today.

Mikelush78
02/15/2013, 08:14 AM
Sounds like its done! Congrats!

zcdh21
02/15/2013, 08:43 AM
Ok thanks. Is it strange that I never got a diatom bloom? How big of a water change should I do? Also, I just have the basic cycle test kit. What should I be testing for now (I eventually want to have corals)?

worm5406
02/15/2013, 09:30 AM
Well you added the pure ammonia right?

Did you titrate it in over a few days or did you just put in what you had?

Frankly... if it took 4 days to reduce your load of ammonia I would try the same ammount again... This will show that it is able to handle the load. Keep in mind that the bacteria that is eating the ammonia is always looking for food.. so if you test/pre-load like this the lack of ammonia will reduce the beneficial items in the tank, once you stop.

Sometimes you may want to test again like this (WITH NO HABITANTS) before you start to add your fish. This will help get the tank pre-stressed to handle inhabitants.

How much did you put in for it to go from 8ppm to 0 in 4 days?

zcdh21
02/15/2013, 09:33 AM
Well you added the pure ammonia right?

Did you titrate it in over a few days or did you just put in what you had?

Frankly... if it took 4 days to reduce your load of ammonia I would try the same ammount again... This will show that it is able to handle the load. Keep in mind that the bacteria that is eating the ammonia is always looking for food.. so if you test/pre-load like this the lack of ammonia will reduce the beneficial items in the tank, once you stop.

Sometimes you may want to test again like this (WITH NO HABITANTS) before you start to add your fish. This will help get the tank pre-stressed to handle inhabitants.

How much did you put in for it to go from 8ppm to 0 in 4 days?

I put 8ml in on Monday and I put it all in at one time.

worm5406
02/15/2013, 09:37 AM
Lets try it again... If the bacteria have come up it should take 2 days to tackle the same load. That will really prove that it is ready and the bacteria is working. Check the nitrates also... Besides you are going to QT the fish right?? So you have some time to get the fish and let them sit first??

Test kits??

Take a look at red sea ones. The pro - coral is a nice setup for a all in one kit.

Take a look around some people like electronic some people like drops and shaking and color bars.

The bigger is realiaiblity of not only the tester but of the agents.

zcdh21
02/15/2013, 09:44 AM
Ok. So I will add another 8 ml of ammo. I have had two fish in QT for 2 weeks now so they have at least 2 more weeks before they are ready. I was thinking about getting a CUC, but I don't have any hair algae and I never got a diatom. Do you think I need a CUC, or are there other benefits to having a CUC?

Cymonous
02/15/2013, 09:49 AM
Was your LR kept in water from the LFS to the tank? If so, you wouldn't have much or any dieoff. If your LR was kept under water, you should be set for your cycle. If you decide to add more Ammonia, don't add any livestock to your tank. It will kill your inhabitants.

zcdh21
02/15/2013, 09:55 AM
Was your LR kept in water from the LFS to the tank? If so, you wouldn't have much or any dieoff. If your LR was kept under water, you should be set for your cycle. If you decide to add more Ammonia, don't add any livestock to your tank. It will kill your inhabitants.

LR was shipped and took 4 days to get here. It was still fairly wet (wrapped in wet paper towels and put in a sealed bag) from premium aquatics. I was going to wait until after this ammo is converted and I do a major water change before I add anything, but I don't want to add a bunch of snails if they will be serving no real purpose.

worm5406
02/15/2013, 09:55 AM
Yes do not add any thing... CUC or FISH... go ahead and drop 8 in there again.

Go ahead and order your CUC.. Yes it will help because once those fish come out of QT they will be pooping all over the place and the CUC will help keep it clean ahead of the curve.

Let the cuc start living in the tank before your fish. This will help move things around (bacteria) and help with a continuous small amount of ammonia.

Cymonous
02/15/2013, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't trust the LR just being wrapped in some damp towels. You more than likely had some dieoff and should extend your cycle. Do as worm suggests with the ammonia. Once this extended cycle finishes, do a water change, then add CUC in first. You may end up with a bloom for your CUC to clean up.

zcdh21
02/15/2013, 11:29 AM
ok, thanks for your help. Hopefully I will be able to order my CUC on Monday.

wooden_reefer
02/15/2013, 11:45 AM
Sounds like its done! Congrats!

Sounds like cycling is done.

Nothing to congratulate!!!

Cycling is just the easiest thing in the hobby.

What is slow is also very esay!!

The harder part comes now no matter what your goal is.

If your interest is fish, have you cycled the medium for QT yet?