PDA

View Full Version : Curious to see the most popular forms of nitrate and phosphate control

samstersam
02/15/2013, 12:49 PM
Just wanted to see what the consensus was regarding phosphate and nitrate exportation. How do YOU manage your nitrate and phosphate levels?

I've started using nitrate and phosphate reducing pads from Accurel (looks exactly the same as DeepBlue) and my NPS gorgonians now have their polyps extended more throughout the day and my LPS corals have puffed up more. My dendros and Duncan's also expand more. It could be just a mistaken anecdotal observation however (which is why it's so frustrating and also unknown/exciting at the same time because we're all just experimenting here as hobbyists and there are a lot of different ways to accomplish a certain goal in our reef tanks)

I mean, hey. If we all knew one perfect way to maintain reeftanks, I doubt we would have so much fascination or interest in this hobby...kind like...life, I guess...haha. The unknown is more exciting than the known...

:uzi:

Sorry just wanted to use that emoticon. I've never used it before...

MrClam
02/15/2013, 01:38 PM
Voted GFO because my tank is still relatively new so im running GFO as a preventative measure against any PO4 leaching from rockwork.

But you didnt list macroalgea as an option for PO4 or nitrate removal, which I use and I know many others do as well. As I understand it biopellets will do nothing for PO4 or nitrate export.

ReeferSamster
02/15/2013, 01:48 PM
Voted GFO because my tank is still relatively new so im running GFO as a preventative measure against any PO4 leaching from rockwork.

But you didnt list macroalgea as an option for PO4 or nitrate removal, which I use and I know many others do as well. As I understand it biopellets will do nothing for PO4 or nitrate export.

Yes, I should have put possibly an ATS as another option, but in my experience just a clump of chaeto or other macro algae in a sump is not going to dent phosphate or nitrate levels. It'll help to a limited degree but it's pretty minor, unless you have extremely high levels and a football sized chaeto rolling around the sump and you constantly prune it (or a megatank with mega chaeto) And I mean CONSTANT pruning. If you let it stay there and and not prune and let the darker areas die, your not exporting the nitrate/phosphate at all. It's just recycled in the tank, akin to leaving biopellets without skimmer exportation. (the bacterial biomass is what is exported out via a skimmer)

Just curious, in your opinion biopellets does nothing for nitrate? Isn't that the whole point for biopellets? Ive seen a lot of success stories in RC, (and also a few horror stories) and to a minor degree phosphates (primary exportation via biopellets would be nitrates, and secondary in a minor way phosphates), but are you saying biopellets don't work at ALL?

More discussions please from everyone! Itll all help us.

Sam

a.browning
02/15/2013, 05:21 PM
Biopellets provide a food source for bacteria, which in turn comsume nitrate and to a lesser extent phosphate, provided you have a good skimmer to export the bacteria. From my understanding, BPs are great for nitrates, but not quite as effective at removing phosphate since nitrate normally becomes the limiting factor.

To keep nutrients near zero, I personally skim well, run carbon/gfo, do frequent water changes, and have a refugium. I've never had detectable nitrate, and phosphate stays around .01-.02ppm.

solitude127
02/15/2013, 05:30 PM
You should allow the poll to have multiple answers. my vote is 3,4,6

Ostara
02/15/2013, 05:37 PM
I usually do carbon dosing and GFO/carbon, but I'll be adding a biopellet reactor later today on one of my tanks. That is, if UPS will deign to drag its snail-slow self to my door with my darn package. :facepalm:

Edit: Also weekly water changes. Those are important too. :)

Nano sapiens
02/15/2013, 06:21 PM
You forgot the most effective in preventing inorganic phosphates from entering the water column in the first place: Regular detritus removal. That's all I use, in addition to regular WCs, to keep inorganic phosphates at undetectable levels (Salifert).

jimmy frag
02/15/2013, 06:30 PM
carbon dosing, bio pellets and gfo. all very sound and proven methods for exporting nitrates and phosphates

alan.reef
02/15/2013, 07:46 PM
Im vote 3,4,6

Buzz1329
02/15/2013, 08:39 PM
3 and 6 for me.