PDA

View Full Version : How long or often do you run your sulfur denitrator??

Emoney
02/16/2013, 07:22 AM
i switch from sand to barebottom when i last moved. Had nitrates a little higher than i would have liked and a friend recomended a GEO denitrator. Ive been running it about 2 months now and doesnt really seem to be doing anything.

I know it takes time for bacteria to build up in the sulfur in the tube..but how often do you leave it running??? None stop?? a Few days??

bnumair
02/16/2013, 07:35 AM
I ran mine 24 hrs 7days. Also at first u need a very very slow rate of drip like 1 to 2 drops per second for first couple of months. This will help cycle the unit. Once ur nitrates start to decrease then slowly increase rate.

Emoney
02/16/2013, 08:26 AM
what made you stop running it ??

bnumair
02/16/2013, 08:44 AM
I switched tanks and I. Between tanks denitrator sat offline for 4 months. I rinsed the media out in ro di water but it crashed my tank. Lost all corals. I moved on to biopellet.

tmz
02/16/2013, 11:22 AM
I ran my diy model sulfur denitrator 24/7 for 6 months or so about 5 years ago. I'm not famiiair with the model you cited.
Generally, if you shut them down they go anoxic turning out hydrogen sulfide.. if you open them up the obligate anaerobes that consume the sulfur and reduced nitrate perish. It took week to cycle during which degassing is reqired and ammonia and nitrite are produced. I ran the effluent into a separate bucket duringt his time ;not back into the tank. Then it took another week or so to take nitrates from 80ppm+ to near zero in the 500 gallon system.
Once the nitrates are exhausted it's hard to balance the flow and sulfur amount to demand,ime. As less nitrate is available , sulfate reducing bacteria tend to take over producing toxic smelly hydrogen sulfide.
Ultimately I took it off line , pleased that it reduced the nitrates and turned the task of keeping them low over to organic carbon dosing, ie , vodka and vinegar.