PDA

View Full Version : Tank Breakdown, tap water kill Bryposis?

zero26
02/16/2013, 08:49 AM
I am rebooting my tank, to correct some mistakes. I am going to bleach the rocks to kill off the bryopsis. But some is on the back glass of the aquarium. I was planning on running tap water with vinegar in the system to kill off any problems. Will this eradicate the bryposis?

popebosephus
02/16/2013, 09:15 AM
Another one loses the fight. That's hard to hear. Why not just bleach the tank as well?

brandon429
02/16/2013, 10:57 AM
And why not let us work on it before disassembly

We are getting pretty decent at restoration in some cases

brandon429
02/16/2013, 10:57 AM
Any reef can be re invaded, start overs are a bandaid too

Back glass should be razor blade scraped either way

zero26
02/16/2013, 12:47 PM
I was thinking of bleaching the tank as well, just not sure how bad the smell would be from the bleach.

bertoni
02/16/2013, 06:29 PM
I think if you scrape off all the visible Bryopsis and then wipe well with vinegar, that'll kill everything. I wouldn't bleach the tank itself, but I don't like exposing myself to that much bleach.

thenissantech
02/16/2013, 10:12 PM
you could turn lights off for 3 days and then turn them back on scrape off and clean out as much as possible. then raise Mg to 1800+ for 30 days. that should kill bryopsis. if you break tank down and restart you may end up with the same situation. i would try some type of approach like this before you give up

zero26
02/17/2013, 07:14 AM
you could turn lights off for 3 days and then turn them back on scrape off and clean out as much as possible. then raise Mg to 1800+ for 30 days. that should kill bryopsis. if you break tank down and restart you may end up with the same situation. i would try some type of approach like this before you give up

Welcome to ReefCentral. I've tried all you speak of, raising the Mg that high actually works, but its just a temporary fix as it always comes back. Nothing is going to survive the bleach bath.

brandon429
02/17/2013, 07:32 AM
Sure it will.

It will be on the next import into the new tank, then that one will need a start over. Each method of invasion fighting has its limitations, and then some of them work totally

What methods have you tried other than mg boosting, and post pics of your setup lets see the invader

zero26
02/17/2013, 08:08 AM
Sure it will.

It will be on the next import into the new tank, then that one will need a start over. Each method of invasion fighting has its limitations, and then some of them work totally

What methods have you tried other than mg boosting, and post pics of your setup lets see the invader

I've tried your Hydrogen Peroxide method. It does work, my problem is just too widespread.

AcroporAddict
02/17/2013, 08:48 AM
I killed the bryopsis in my tank with Tech-M, and it did not come back. Nice avatar you got there.

zero26
02/17/2013, 08:56 AM
I killed the bryopsis in my tank with Tech-M, and it did not come back. Nice avatar you got there.

Haha, I like yours too!

brandon429
02/17/2013, 10:31 AM
I wasnt even going to start there heh I think i remember your posts.

Hate to see any start over just trying to brainstorm ways to fix it w no takedown and cook if possible, ever done a lights out method where the corals are in a holding tank and the dt gets the dark zap? An insulting, long blackout just wondering.

Gary Majchrzak
02/17/2013, 10:36 AM
bleach kills everything... so why do it?

this guy almost took out his family (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253493)

Note that "cooking" liverock refers to a bacterial process that doesn't involve applying heat!

here's a link to WHY and HOW to cook liverock (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=485572)

ReefTeacher
02/17/2013, 01:24 PM
I had a moderate bryopsis infestations, mostly centerd on one rock, but small patches throughout the tank. I also had some bubble algae. I started VSV dosing, my PO4 dropped to zero and the algae died back. I never found anything to eat bryopsis, or bubble algae in any meaningful quantity. But do try to attack the problem at its root.