PDA

View Full Version : Ph at 8.52. Is this to high?

bezlar
02/16/2013, 01:26 PM
I run lime in my top off. Is the ph to high and if so what should I use to lower?

Thanks
Barry

xfactor1315
02/16/2013, 01:57 PM
Lower it with a water change is your ph probe calibrated and if so did you overdose the tank!

bezlar
02/16/2013, 02:16 PM
Ya just set up new apex. My tap water is pretty high ph to start with. Tank still looks fine. When I put new apex on system is when I figured out the ph was high. Old pinpoint was reading 8.1. And has been for a month.

disc1
02/16/2013, 05:52 PM
My tap water is pretty high ph to start with.

The pH in your tap water has absolutely zero effect on the pH in the tank after you mix it.

jimmy frag
02/16/2013, 05:55 PM
if you are running high can you add vinegar to your top off ?

bertoni
02/16/2013, 06:35 PM
8.52 should be safe. More aeration will help lower the pH, if it's actually high, and I'd get a second opinion on the pH measurement itself before doing anything drastic.

bezlar
02/16/2013, 07:29 PM
Brand new apex system with new ph probe and calculation. It reads 8.52. My old pinpoint read 8.1. I guess I trust the apex reading. I dosed a little vinegar. Brought it down to 8.40. Then added a little to the kalk. I use a 39 gallon brute for top off and add about 1 tea spoon a gallon of lime.

bezlar
02/16/2013, 07:33 PM
8.52 should be safe. More aeration will help lower the pH, if it's actually high, and I'd get a second opinion on the pH measurement itself before doing anything drastic.

What kind of aeration? And where sump or tank or both? I have a skimmer that pulls a lot air but not Shute if skimmer counts for aeration. Also would higher ph have anything to do with a little cyno growing? It's just very small amount and usually is gone in morning then back by evening.

Thanks
Barry

bertoni
02/16/2013, 08:40 PM
The skimmer probably provides a lot of aeration already. Looking for any film on the surface of the water might be useful. The cyanobacteria isn't causing the problem, and the location of the aeration isn't important, either.

bezlar
02/16/2013, 10:08 PM
The skimmer probably provides a lot of aeration already. Looking for any film on the surface of the water might be useful. The cyanobacteria isn't causing the problem, and the location of the aeration isn't important, either.

I was wondering if the high ph was causing cyno. Not the other way around. I aimed my returns higher so they would cause more disturbance on top of water. My system is a 200 gallon display with open top like a rimless but ero braced. I run a 40 gallon sump and another 40 gallon breeder on the same system. Equipment and sump are in garage along with the breeder tank, display is in house. I'm thinking my kalk top off is causing this. What other measurements would be helpful? Ill do in morning. Alk, cal, ?
Thanks
Barry

bertoni
02/16/2013, 11:10 PM
Oh, I see. I doubt that the high pH is encouraging the microbial bloom, either. If the level is accurate, a bit more aeration might lower the level, but the tank should be safe as is. The Kalk is most likely the cause of the high pH. There's really not much else that could do that.

Ron Reefman
02/17/2013, 05:45 AM
Brand new apex system with new ph probe and calculation. It reads 8.52. My old pinpoint read 8.1. I guess I trust the apex reading. I dosed a little vinegar. Brought it down to 8.40. Then added a little to the kalk. I use a 39 gallon brute for top off and add about 1 tea spoon a gallon of lime.

How can you make that call if you haven't callibrated either of them? Just because the Apex system is new and cost a lot doesn't mean it's properly calibrated. In fact, I'll bet they recommend in the instructions that you calibrate the probe before you start using it.

FabG
02/17/2013, 07:21 AM
I recently purchased an Apex Controller with a lab grade Ph probe. It had to be calibrated. You need special calibration fluids, two packets if I recall. One was ph 7.0 and another at a different Ph level. Cannot remember whether the packets came with the controller. Just review the online manuals. It's all set out there.

bezlar
02/17/2013, 08:21 AM
How can you make that call if you haven't callibrated either of them? Just because the Apex system is new and cost a lot doesn't mean it's properly calibrated. In fact, I'll bet they recommend in the instructions that you calibrate the probe before you start using it.

Not my first rodeo? Of course I calibrated the probe. I had even calibrated my old pin point about two months ago cause I bought new probe. Ph fell last night about .15 but will go right back up today with lights I'm sure. I guess I won't worry about it unless it goes up even more. I'm do for water change today so maybe that helps to.

Thanks guys

bezlar
02/17/2013, 09:19 AM
Just did 40 gallon water change and ph at 8.45. I use reef crystal. Saly at 35, 36 ppm according to my ref. yes it was calibrated two weeks ago using pinpoint solution. I usually do it every other month.

tmz
02/17/2013, 09:51 AM
I don't think 8.52 is a worry if there is no precipitation and alkainity isn't too high.

Can't see a way high pH would contribute tcyano bacterial growth. Could see excessive cyano contributing to high ph but not for too long as depleted CO2 would slow it down, I bet.

I'd let it come down on it's own and stop dosing fro the time being.monitoring alk closely though. Bouncing your Ph and a few othe rthings around with vinegar or water changes is likely to be more harmful than ph 8.52.

Monitors and probes can be touchy and easily thrown off by electrical interference even when they are properly calibrated.. I've use a pinpoint for a long time and have confidence in it.
Dosng vinegar will drop the pH precipitously almost immediately but it will go almost all of the way back up in an hour or so in a tank with decent aeration/surface agitation.
It will provide acetic acid which is an organic carbon source and may cause a bacterial bloom if overdosed . If you want to add CO2(carbonated) seltzer will do it without the organics.

bezlar
02/17/2013, 10:41 AM
Ca 550. Alk. 10.5 or so.

bezlar
02/17/2013, 10:44 AM
I just filled up my top off with fresh ro water. It was about half empty so I hope this dilutes the kalk. I wil let that run down before I dose any more lime. It takes about two weeks or so to empty 39 gallons.

Thanks