PDA

View Full Version : New Black Volitan Lionfish

splateee
02/16/2013, 01:48 PM
I just purchased a Black Volitan lion fish the other day from the LFS. He is around 5 inches or so. I fed him last night a silver side from the feeding stick and he took it no problem. He is in a 240 gallon FOWLR with a striped puffer, scopas tang and a coris wrasse. From why I have read I guess they are fairly fast growers. My concern is that the coris wrasse is around 3 inches and is just starting to change to an adult and the lion may think he is a snack. Is this going to be ok in the long run?

Thank you

rayn
02/16/2013, 01:56 PM
If it fits, it can be food! Would be worried about the puffer as well. They can nip on the flowing fins of the lion. Watch for that as well.

MrTuskfish
02/16/2013, 02:54 PM
I just purchased a Black Volitan lion fish the other day from the LFS. He is around 5 inches or so. I fed him last night a silver side from the feeding stick and he took it no problem. He is in a 240 gallon FOWLR with a striped puffer, scopas tang and a coris wrasse. From why I have read I guess they are fairly fast growers. My concern is that the coris wrasse is around 3 inches and is just starting to change to an adult and the lion may think he is a snack. Is this going to be ok in the long run?

Thank you

No. An adult volitan will eat fish twice the size of a 3'' wrasse. And the "long run" will be shorter than you think. Volitans are extremely fast growing.

splateee
02/16/2013, 03:56 PM
I was a bit worried about the puffer nipping but he has been god so far. The puffer is about 4 inches and growing at a fast rate. My main concern was the coris wrasse. I was also a bit concerned about getting it to eat because it didn't touch the krill at the fish store. Right now it is just hanging out upside down in a cave.

Thanks for the help and info.

MrTuskfish
02/16/2013, 05:11 PM
I was a bit worried about the puffer nipping but he has been god so far. The puffer is about 4 inches and growing at a fast rate. My main concern was the coris wrasse. I was also a bit concerned about getting it to eat because it didn't touch the krill at the fish store. Right now it is just hanging out upside down in a cave.

Thanks for the help and info.

Sounds typical. Avoid feeding much krill; its been linked to lockjaw in lions.