PDA

View Full Version : zoa's please read

NyReefNoob
02/16/2013, 01:54 PM
so ya think you found a new morph of zoa ? or think that it is special ? or rare ? well hate to break the new to you, but it isnt any of the above. few people on here have same idealoligy as me about zoa's/palies. ive been collecting them on and off for about 9 years. if i had to guess id say ive had about 100+ different one's over the years.. please understand that your type of light and lighting spectrum can make the same zoa look like 10 different one's.. please stop with this rare coral stuff.. ive had stuff i thought was rare. but then again not like i get to see a million tanks so, that same piece ive never seen before is probably in a 1000 other tanks. and ive had some peices, lps, sps, zoa's ect ive never seen ovr the years lol till it went into friends tank with different parameters and lighting and poof few months later it looks like a piece different then mine, realize that one coral you have isnt the only one in the ocean or that was brought in

MUCHO REEF
02/16/2013, 04:25 PM
I agree with you 100 % my friend. It was the motivation for my posting this thread below. To date, I still see polyps I saw 15 years ago, being labeled today as rare. :hammer:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2249826

Mucho Reef

Chriskid
02/16/2013, 05:10 PM
has the whole zoanthid forum been dedicated to arguments?
your right they are all the same, and named , and overpriced .....ext

can we move on, i bet 1000 reefkeepers have left due to this ongooiiinnggg argument.
can we just have fun now?

NyReefNoob
02/16/2013, 05:16 PM
there's no arguement, and i left this thread myself for along time because it wasnt about zoa's anymore, it was about the newest lol and most expensive zoa's out, the name's ect

NyReefNoob
02/16/2013, 05:18 PM
btw i have nothing against the names for them, it does make it easier to identify them, but in same tune, there arent as many morphs as people would like to believe, why i made the statement about water quality and type of light and spectrum making 1 type look 10 different ways

MUCHO REEF
02/16/2013, 10:42 PM
btw i have nothing against the names for them, it does make it easier to identify them, but in same tune, there arent as many morphs as people would like to believe, why i made the statement about water quality and type of light and spectrum making 1 type look 10 different ways

You make a great point. Well spoken, well taken and often proven and repeated as seen in several threads below .:thumbsup: FYI....Though each thread below looks the same as links, they are indeed different links.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299131&highlight=color+shift

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272966&highlight=color+shift

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309820&highlight=color+shift

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021129&highlight=color+shift

MUCHO

19jeffro83
02/17/2013, 05:21 AM
You people are going to make me leave this site with this stupid argument. Who cares! Use your energy to argue something that matters. All I see on the zoanthid page of this site is bickering by a few certain individuals talking about the "good old days" and "I stopped because of". Shut it already and let people pay what they want and don't pay it yourself because you can get it for whatever. Go start this **** in the sps section and get shot down quick. You want to talk rip off. Try the little pencil eraser frags of named acros for 75-100$. I hate this and you few I'm talking about know who you are. So lets here more long winded BS on this or that was like this and now the price gouges did this and ruined that for us. Blah blah blah. You are the greedy ones that want to pillage the ocean. You are the greedy ones that think they are owed because of seniority. Captive bred annals costlier money. Yes some are over priced, just don't buy them! Simple as that. To me it sounds like a bunch of broke busters complaining because the can't buy the pretty things and only have the ugly cheap **** in there tanks. To all of you, get a new hobby because salt water tanks aren't cheap and pretty coral isn't either.
If you were so lucky to get all those big colonies for dirt cheap good for you. Maybe you all are just angry you didn't start naming them and selling them yourselves. You guys knock down purchasing "small frags" to grow out. Last I heard the word frag which is an abbreviation of fragment means a small piece of a larger object. Not half or a large piece but a small one.
I go to many fish stores in the tri state area and yes some corals and zoas are not as common and yes the pretty ones that aren't cost more money. It's up to you as a buyer to decide of its worth the money to you personally or not.
Stop with this garbage of bashing people over something so irrelevant to real life and argue something that matters. Maybe start looking at the oil prices that actually effect everyone or the fact that milk may go up to 8$ a gallon. You guys need to get a life and shut up already.

MUCHO REEF
02/17/2013, 06:56 AM
so ya think you found a new morph of zoa ? or think that it is special ? or rare ? well hate to break the new to you, but it isnt any of the above. few people on here have same idealoligy as me about zoa's/palies. ive been collecting them on and off for about 9 years. if i had to guess id say ive had about 100+ different one's over the years.. please understand that your type of light and lighting spectrum can make the same zoa look like 10 different one's.. please stop with this rare coral stuff.. ive had stuff i thought was rare. but then again not like i get to see a million tanks so, that same piece ive never seen before is probably in a 1000 other tanks. and ive had some peices, lps, sps, zoa's ect ive never seen ovr the years lol till it went into friends tank with different parameters and lighting and poof few months later it looks like a piece different then mine, realize that one coral you have isnt the only one in the ocean or that was brought in

Have you ever experienced firsthand any true color shift based upon a shift in your parameters, lighting etc? If so, could you share your experience with us? Could you also share what you witnessed in your friends tank? Was it just a shift in color, or were new rings, specks or spotted pigments as a result of this? Thanks.

Mucho

NyReefNoob
02/17/2013, 08:24 AM
for anyone else who may post of here, there is no arguement once again and wish all of you who want to make it one would stay off the thread, you guys are the one's who turn it into a arguement thread, and it is always the same cry babies trying to make it into a arguement, and if it wasnt for the handful of us, the zoa forum wouldnt be nothing but picture's and id's,

mods please clean up this stuff off my thread, cost and pricing was never mentioned in my thread,

this was about alot of new zoa's and rarity, and how lighting can make a zoa look like 10 different one's

yes i have mucho, ive used most types of lighting, seen what the same zoa and or sps has looked like under mh with t5, mh with pc, straight t5's with several bulb combo's, and several different led units, i can make a rainbow zoa go from blah to killer colors just with changing temp of light output. i see it as my lights come on and other temp of leds start to come on how my whole tank changes appearance. lol my mind blowing paly is one, goes from a killer color with blues to basically a long skirt brown paly once all temps come on

gordonj1
02/17/2013, 12:49 PM
I'd disagree with the idea that there aren't as many morphs as people think. There are at least 300 known varieties. We are doing a research project on zoanthid/playthoa phylogeny, and you would not believe the differences in DNA that we have found.

NyReefNoob
02/17/2013, 01:46 PM
gordon, nice to hear, i did say ive had over a hundred different one's myself, how did you guys come up with over 300 different one's out of curiousity ? have you guys had that many different one's ? and dna on a zoa ?

Pallobi
02/17/2013, 02:00 PM
I'd disagree with the idea that there aren't as many morphs as people think. There are at least 300 known varieties. We are doing a research project on zoanthid/playthoa phylogeny, and you would not believe the differences in DNA that we have found.

if your goin to state that you are researching, and state that through this research you are finding DNA results to back your statement, please provide us all with the specific results you and your peers found...

or your point means nothing here...

only asking out of curiosity... not agreeing or disagreeing at this point at all... if you make such significant claims, you need to back them with proof...

Pallobi
02/17/2013, 02:01 PM
and the OP, if your gonna tell people whatsup and what not to do, your gonna get opposers... you cant tell folks not to post, its a free country and PUBLIC forum... i will say, i COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU, but you dont get to have the last word jus because you feel entitled to it cuz you made this useless thread... your creating and feeding the friction by even posting your OP...

Pallobi
02/17/2013, 02:06 PM
has the whole zoanthid forum been dedicated to arguments?
your right they are all the same, and named , and overpriced .....ext

can we move on, i bet 1000 reefkeepers have left due to this ongooiiinnggg argument.
can we just have fun now?

there isnt alot of fun in the forum lately... its a bunch of people sitting at a keyboard or smartphone trying to prove each other wrong based on their own beliefs within a HOBBY...

i mean, jus take a few of the threads on this first page now, folks cant even agree on what is a hornet and what isnt...

fruity stuff i say... its like religion up in this place, where if you dont agree with the next person, one person is gonna go to the end of the earth to prove they are right, and you are wrong... what a waste of time regardless of what side of the fence your on...

now, its sunday, and its time for some cold IPA's, have fun complaining everyone :beer:

eg8r210
02/17/2013, 04:03 PM
NyReefNoob, I don't discount anything you are saying but when you make statements like this, ive had stuff i thought was rare. but then again not like i get to see a million tanks so, that same piece ive never seen before is probably in a 1000 other tanks. I feel you have discounted everything you are trying to do. What this statement says is that you have something you "think" is rare but have no real idea. You also have NO REAL idea if it is in 1000 other tanks either. You are making guesses on both ends of the spectrum.

My thoughts are that there are not very many rare zoanthids at this point, but having a bunch of people saying, "oh I used to buy that for pennies on the dollar 10 years ago" doesn't mean a hill of beans. There is no way for you to prove any of that beyond a shadow of a doubt so make your statement then move on. If you decide you need to act like the "voice" for all things z&p then most will ignore you.

Also, just because someone was widely traded a few years ago doesn't necessarily mean it is prevalent now or does it mean it isn't. If a person states something is rare, people here need to pick and choose when to "attack" and when to "inform" and then have the couth to deliver that information in a way that adds value for all involved. After reading many of the posts here I don't the difference between those two is as distinguished as it could be. There is a reason this forum (all RC) has the bad rap that it does.

you guys are the one's who turn it into a arguement threadI am sure you will not understand what I am saying but when you come off as a know it all I believe you instigate the argument. If you don't agree then just ask yourself why people thought you were trying to start one. You are trying to hide behind innocence but in the end, when you really look at what you posted, especially knowing there are more than one of these threads it is easy to see that you were instigating yet another argument over the same thing again and again.

eg8r210
02/17/2013, 04:06 PM
if your goin to state that you are researching, and state that through this research you are finding DNA results to back your statement, please provide us all with the specific results you and your peers found...

or your point means nothing here...

only asking out of curiosity... not agreeing or disagreeing at this point at all... if you make such significant claims, you need to back them with proof...Why don't you just ask him when this info will be available instead of telling him his point means nothing. I am not a researcher so hopefully you can help me understand but how many people provides their results when they are in the middle of their research? Is this research an open book for all to see before it is complete or ready for peer review?

eg8r210
02/17/2013, 04:07 PM
and the OP, if your gonna tell people whatsup and what not to do, your gonna get opposers... you cant tell folks not to post, its a free country and PUBLIC forum... i will say, i COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU, but you dont get to have the last word jus because you feel entitled to it cuz you made this useless thread... your creating and feeding the friction by even posting your OP...Hooray, now there is something I can agree with. :)

NyReefNoob
02/17/2013, 05:58 PM
My thoughts are that there are not very many rare zoanthids at this point, but having a bunch of people saying, "oh I used to buy that for pennies on the dollar 10 years ago" doesn't mean a hill of beans. There is no way for you to prove any of that beyond a shadow of a doubt so make your statement then move on. If you decide you need to act like the "voice" for all things z&p then most will ignore you

so would pic's of zoa's from 8 years ago of these supposed rare zoa's help ? i mean thats all i use to basically keep for the first few years in the hobby.

lets just say i use to frequent several whole salers, as well as have stuff shipped in, so i may have seen a few more corals then your average reefer. no i dont own a store, nor sell any corals on here.

feel you have discounted everything you are trying to do. What this statement says is that you have something you "think" is rare but have no real idea. You also have NO REAL idea if it is in 1000 other tanks either. You are making guesses on both ends of the spectrum.

i do agree the puncuation makes things appear a little different then i wanted it to sound, at the beginning. but it was more aimed at the fact that people keep acting like they have a golden nugget or that it is something so completely new morph. when in most cases it isnt, it has been around and the lighting and water quality, will change the pattern and or color morph,

funny not even 15 post on here and nothing truelly in my origanal post was tellinbg anyone what to do, or what to pay.

then you have people threatning to leave, explaining we must be mad cause we didnt take advantage of people and so forth,

funny thing is there is a handful of people here who actually try to bring up a regular discussion and those who always seem to turn it into the same b.s. but those of us who have actually been doing this for awhile and have tried different stuff to possibly help are the one's quickly disguarded from the forum, go figure

gordonj1
02/17/2013, 11:08 PM
Nope that came from a paper unread I can try and find it for ya. We have around 40 varieties ATM with DNA sequences for all of them. Getting all of Dr. Reimer's sequences from genbank as well to compare ours to. We will have an awesome poster to share in April. You can check out our research thread if you want. Just search zoanthid research you'll see it.

gordonj1
02/17/2013, 11:08 PM
***Paper I read

Autocorrect kills!

MUCHO REEF
02/18/2013, 01:59 PM
for anyone else who may post of here, there is no arguement once again and wish all of you who want to make it one would stay off the thread, you guys are the one's who turn it into a arguement thread, and it is always the same cry babies trying to make it into a arguement, and if it wasnt for the handful of us, the zoa forum wouldnt be nothing but picture's and id's,

I agree my friend, you're not arguing. Everything posted in every thread on any forum is either someone's opinion, facts, suppostion, anecdotal etc. As someone else just stated, it's free speech and this discussion forum is an extension of said free speech as long as you don't violate any rules, attack someone or flame in anyway via personal attacks.

mods please clean up this stuff off my thread, cost and pricing was never mentioned in my thread,

this was about alot of new zoa's and rarity, and how lighting can make a zoa look like 10 different one's

Lighting is most definitely one of many influential variables which can cause zoas to morph so to speak. I have a great article I want to post on this. Just gotta go dig it out and find it. It has some very scientific stuff which is mind blowing to read.

yes i have mucho, ive used most types of lighting, seen what the same zoa and or sps has looked like under mh with t5, mh with pc, straight t5's with several bulb combo's, and several different led units, i can make a rainbow zoa go from blah to killer colors just with changing temp of light output. i see it as my lights come on and other temp of leds start to come on how my whole tank changes appearance. lol my mind blowing paly is one, goes from a killer color with blues to basically a long skirt brown paly once all temps come on

Last question, promise LOL. You stated you've used most types of lighting, was it because you weren't happy with something so you switched, or were you seeking the perfect scheme you always wanted but couldn't really find?

Mooch

NyReefNoob
02/18/2013, 06:54 PM
i've tried alot of equiptment over the years, to be honest, my favorite lighting has been
t5's, more so cause of the color temps, i get bored easy lol i do like the current light i have now, { nano-box led unit) but i do plan to add 2 t5's to it, just to obtain certain color temp i cant get from leds, if i had to say for a over all best growth and color ive used was mh with vho's, i dont think anything compares to that combo. im sure before i am done with the hobby there will be a few more lights ill try, lol ive only had about 30 skimmers

gordon would be very interested to see that, and googling zoanthid only brings up a million sites

Pallobi
02/18/2013, 10:13 PM
Why don't you just ask him when this info will be available instead of telling him his point means nothing.

Your right... I jumped the gun, and my point came across the wrong way in regards to the research comment... My apoligies to the poster concerning polyp DNA... But I would like to see some results...

Again, my bad...

Still not sure how I feel about the origin of this thread however... All this stuff could be on the other thread, rather than adding to cluster on this forum...

eg8r210
02/19/2013, 10:09 AM
Still not sure how I feel about the origin of this thread however... All this stuff could be on the other thread, rather than adding to cluster on this forum...I agree. I think my viewpoint most closely aligns with what Peter Eichler posted in the other thread.

Now, someone please explain to me (in my other thread) how my eagle eyes have decided to have yellow skirt instead of green skirt after growing in my tank for nearly 2 years.