PDA

View Full Version : Mini cycle/white cloudy water emergency!

Fish tank frank
02/16/2013, 04:26 PM
Ok need help quick
Yesterday my protein skimmer filled with 100ml of gunk/skimate was over flowed into the sump. Today I woke up and my 90gallon tank was so cloudy and white I can't see the rocks. Ammonia is at .25-.50 nitrates are over 100 ppm (rised from 40 where they usually are)

What should my steps of action be? Ammo lock? Or let it run its course. The cloudy water is like a milky murky water. On top of the water surface is white matter. Should I invest in a uv sterilizer or will this go away on its own??

Fish tank frank
02/16/2013, 04:42 PM
Please help me.

Sethjamto
02/16/2013, 05:49 PM
Start with a HUGE water change. Keep the skimmer going, and cross your fingers. Maybe do another large WC in a day too.

LinkinReef
02/16/2013, 06:29 PM
I think something else happened here. I had a skimmer overflow on me with a lot more gunk than that and nothing happened.

Like mentioned above, I would do at least a 50% water change and run a lot of carbon. Maybe even run some gfo as well.

Fish tank frank
02/16/2013, 06:39 PM
A flame angel disapeared in the beginkg of the week but im pretty sure my cuc and serpent star ate the corpse. The only thing I can think of for not doing a big wc is I don't want to prolong the cycle. Is that accurate? When the nitrite comes down to 0 I was going to do the change. So gfo and carbon reactor? I need to do some reading on it. I'm definetly upgrading my skimmer. Any recommendations on carbon reactors? I might pick up a uv sterilizer as well.

amutti
02/16/2013, 07:05 PM
I have no idea why you want a sterilizer for this problem. A phosban reactor is inexpensive and works well with carbon. I'd get a 550. I don't think this is caused due to your skimmer, or at least the skimmer put some other issue over the edge.

I'd do a 30 gallon water change now and another in the morning. This won't cause another cycle, but is stressful to the tank in habitants because of ph, salinity and temp changes of the new water— far less stressful than ammonia. I'd do a 15-20 gallon change in 4 days and keep doing small water changes as long as your reading any ammonia or nitrite.

I'd run something like Cycle, it does seem to help shorten the cycle.

The carbon won't hurt.

I'd aggressively take anything out of the tank that dies as a result of this issue. I'd suck them out while doing the water changes.

Fish tank frank
02/16/2013, 08:33 PM
The problem is I can't see what dies because I can't see in the tank due to the white cloudy water. I think it's some kind of bacterial bloom on top of the mini cycle which is why I'm thinking of the uv sterilizer. I'll do the changes though I'm currently mixing the salt so ill have to wait until morning. My emperor angel better not die!

Fish tank frank
02/16/2013, 08:35 PM
So I just get a phosban reactor and put carbon in it?

ReeferKimberly
02/16/2013, 08:41 PM
Water changes and you can put the carbon wherever. If you need somewhere to put it right now before you are able to purchase something then put it in ladies pantyhoes near some flow.

I don't know why you would have to wait until morning to mix the salt? Do the water changes asap. Do not wait.

Good luck! Your ammonia, nitrites ect will hurt your fish and other inhabitants more than a large water change.

Bruno3047
02/17/2013, 01:21 AM
It's the dead Flame Angel. It's fat body would take a while to decompose. Keep doing water changes or go find the corpse and fish it out.