PDA

View Full Version : D. Exicus / Blue Stripe Pipefish paired and carrying eggs now

Bos Indicus
02/16/2013, 09:55 PM
this pair always hang out during feeding time , and i noticed the male is carrying a mass of eggs on its belly .. check it out

saltyjo
02/17/2013, 06:42 AM
Beautiful pipe fish! I saw some in a local LFS yesterday and wondered about how difficult they would be to keep, breed and raise?

edandsandy
02/18/2013, 02:20 PM
this pair always hang out during feeding time , and i noticed the male is carrying a mass of eggs on its belly .. check it out

Congrats! are you going to try and raise them?

Bos Indicus
02/26/2013, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately my system right now not ready to raise them. And , I noticed every 10 days the male has eggs on its belly. So far I saw at least 4 batch , no babies seen yet :(

edandsandy
02/27/2013, 06:00 AM
I'm sure they are hatching, I think they will accepts rotifers as their first food too, then BBS...

FlammySnake
02/27/2013, 06:19 AM
Blue stripes are incredibly easy to keep. I keep a male in my 75 with damsels, wrasses, etc. Breeding is incredibly easy as well, put male with female, they will breed. Young can be raised on bbs from the get go. Its not easy, but certainly possible!

Luis A M
02/27/2013, 09:26 AM
Blue stripes are incredibly easy to keep. I keep a male in my 75 with damsels, wrasses, etc. Breeding is incredibly easy as well, put male with female, they will breed. Young can be raised on bbs from the get go. Its not easy, but certainly possible!
Flammy,what is your staple feeding?

Bos Indicus
02/27/2013, 01:13 PM
I fed them with roe , mysis shrimps , mixed with vitamin ..I put them together in 120 gal reeffish tank . The pair has their shack in between the rocks, its safe there for them. Hope I can see at least few babies?

FlammySnake
03/03/2013, 04:31 PM
Flammy,what is your staple feeding?

So sorry for the long absence to reply! I do mostly mysis. Reef nutrition ROE is fed twice a week and the blue stripe will eat it, but it is harder to catch. He has no interest in cyclopeeze. At work I throw pairs into a 125 with caulerpa and rock and they occasionally will try mysis. Interesting to note that even in that volume with plenty of food that males will hunt each other down and harass each other allllll day long.