PDA

View Full Version : Is there really any such thing as UNSAFE epoxy?

dixiedog
02/17/2013, 07:48 AM
There are a thousand threads asking if this or that epoxy is reef safe, and the common belief seems to be that it all is. This was always my belief as well. I wouldn't have used just any epoxy for mounting down frags (that is, allowing it to cure in the water), but for building a 'scape I figured all was well.

But, after four years, I'm tearing down my tank and searching for answers as to why it never really took off. One thing I'm looking at is the VERY large amount of several different types of epoxy putty I used in the aquascape. I'm a swimming pool contractor, so I just used whatever types I had in the shed, assuming that once cured, all epoxy was as inert as a piece of rock.

Could I have been wrong? Does anyone know of any epoxy that contains anything (heavy metals come to mind) that could leech out over a long period of years and cause a gradual decline in overall tank health?

cubalz
02/18/2013, 06:23 PM
To my knowledge, once it is fully cured. All of the VOC's (actives) are rendered inert. I have used plastic epoxy in my tanks for over 12 years without issue.

dixiedog
03/28/2013, 09:20 PM
Bump.

slapshot
03/28/2013, 09:27 PM
I have had issues with the cheap stuff. It causes my skimmers to go crazy for a long time. Aquamend doesn't cause the skimmer to go crazy. The way I look at it the skimmer is going crazy for a reason. Something is in the water.

CyclistMT
03/31/2013, 10:41 PM
I have found a couple at the local big box stores that indicated they were not for potable water or contained metals. I have used JB Water Weld without consequense since my local stores quit carrying Aquamend.

slapshot
04/01/2013, 01:11 AM
I have found a couple at the local big box stores that indicated they were not for potable water or contained metals. I have used JB Water Weld without consequense since my local stores quit carrying Aquamend.

Yep, Water Weld works also

alexander_ktn
04/01/2013, 03:55 AM
I am and have always been a bit paranoid as far as epoxy putties are concerned. Looking at the ones offered here in hardware stores every one had a "harmful to aquatic organisms" sticker on it. While this is certainly only the case for uncured epoxy I don't want to risk it and have so far only used high purity hydraulic cement, also for gluing frags to the rockwork. The cement might ofc also leech stuff after it's cured, but I have so far never seen any coral react to cement the way they sometimes do when people put epoxy putty in their tanks (i.e. close up etc.).