PDA

View Full Version : Zoa Question???!

NanoReefnoob04
02/17/2013, 08:11 AM
Can I independently put the zoas in the sand not attach to any rock? And can they reproduce?

MUCHO REEF
02/17/2013, 08:23 AM
Hello and welcome. Yes you can, but I wouldn't. Why? If you have any type of current, as you should, sweeping over your tank, once an invert or fish swims by and disturbs it from the sand, the current will then sweep it away. Usually behind your rock work or somewhere inside of it. You will either never see it again unless you start tearing down your reef or have to dig it out of your reef. The best thing to do is to secure it to a small/med/lg rock with reef glue, thread, lose rubberband etc until it adheres to the rock on its own. This will take a week to 10 and sometimes longer to happen. That will depend solely upon your tankmaturity, parameters etc. Then you can place it in the sand, but even then I wouldn't do that. Is there a reason why you don't want it attached to any rock or on your reef?

Good luck, good question, and again, welcome.

MUCHO

Handil
02/17/2013, 12:27 PM
Much is right on here. You can also bury a rock it's attached to up to the base and they can spread that way.

MUCHO REEF
02/18/2013, 02:06 PM
Can I independently put the zoas in the sand not attach to any rock? And can they reproduce?

Any updates on the last sentence of my reply? Just curious is all, and good luck my friend.

Mucho

MUCHO REEF
02/19/2013, 08:22 AM

BTW, forgot to share this with you. Yes, they will propagate across the substrate in good to optimal conditions. Please click on the link below and go to post # 41.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586173&highlight=tcu&page=2

Good luck.

Mucho Reef

MUCHO REEF
02/19/2013, 11:08 AM
Even though TCU has Starboard in these pictures in the link above, they will and have been seen propagating onto substrate. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mucho

650-IS350
02/19/2013, 11:40 AM
Ive seen large colonies spread on the sand bed before and I mean LARGE colonies. Search zoanthid threads pictures were on this forum before.