PDA

View Full Version : what do you feed your gig

jfuka78
02/17/2013, 08:18 AM
And how?

elegance coral
02/17/2013, 08:27 AM
I feed mine a variety of marine meat like fish, crab legs, and shrimp. Regular table shrimp most often though. It does steal fish food every day as well. I've been meaning to get by the seafood market to get a larger variety of foods. I'd like to add some squid, octopus, or what ever I can find. I've tried the fake crab meat, but my anemones just spit it out.

ct_vol
02/17/2013, 08:42 AM
Squid, Shrimp and Scallops. Defrost and serve. ;)

xtlosx
02/17/2013, 09:54 AM
I'm doing krill right now, and have some cod filets in the freezer I need to get out and try.. How do you guys get just enough octopus, squid, or anything else without wasting any of it?

Anyone have experience with cod? If the cod is OK Jeff you can take half of the filet since I won't use it all.

elegance coral
02/17/2013, 10:00 AM
How do you guys get just enough octopus, squid, or anything else without wasting any of it?

Most seafood markets are pretty good at packaging up small amounts for you. They may give you some really strange looks when you ask for three shrimp, but when you explain what they're for, they'll understand.

stickleback
02/17/2013, 03:54 PM
Mostly small pieces of salmon fillet, and occasionally prawn. They also take the mysis missed by the fish.

jeffm59
02/17/2013, 04:40 PM
Krill and mysis soaked in Red Sea Reef Energy A and B - Target feed three times a week, plus what they steal from the water column during the normal tank feedings

grcforce327
02/17/2013, 05:07 PM
Oriental food store !:thumbsup:

ct_vol
02/17/2013, 09:56 PM
Trader Joe's

jfuka78
02/17/2013, 10:56 PM
Thawed out salmon and cut a strip about 1.25 long by about 1/2 wide. Hey it finally ate something. I set itright near it mouth then the ttentacles grabbed it and would not let it go, the clowns were trying hard to peck and pull it away. Then the gig pedaled up around it mouth to hide it and all gone.

Next ? How big of pieces in relation to mouth slit size? Do all gigs have roughly the same size mouth no matter how big they get or does the mouth size grow? How often do you feed? Does feeding assist in bringing back the color?

stickleback
02/18/2013, 05:54 AM
Thawed out salmon and cut a strip about 1.25 long by about 1/2 wide. Hey it finally ate something. I set itright near it mouth then the ttentacles grabbed it and would not let it go, the clowns were trying hard to peck and pull it away. Then the gig pedaled up around it mouth to hide it and all gone.

Next ? How big of pieces in relation to mouth slit size? Do all gigs have roughly the same size mouth no matter how big they get or does the mouth size grow? How often do you feed? Does feeding assist in bringing back the color?

I think salmon is one of the best feeds, always gets the best feeding responce from mine.
I try to feed pieces no larger than 1/2" in size, usually smaller.
Smaller pieces are easier for them to digest.

elegance coral
02/18/2013, 07:21 AM
I started out feeding mine smaller pieces, usually less than half inch, but as its health improved, I increased the size. Now my gig at ~2 feet, can easily take a large, peeled, table shrimp and discharge nothing. If I leave the exoskeleton on, it will discharge the clean exoskeleton in about 12 to 16 hours.