PDA

View Full Version : 2 part doser recommendations

Froggy
02/17/2013, 08:54 AM
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a doser to automate my liquid 2 part dosing. A local reefer is selling this unit http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medic_Reefdoser_Dosing_Pump_Quadro_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-Aqua_Medic_USA-AQ4531-FIDPETPU-AQ4571-vi.html for $200 (retail $499) but the reviews seem pretty poor.

I am also looking at 2 of the Bulk Reef Supply dosers http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html which seem to have very good reviews.

What doser for two part solutions would you recommend?

Thanks,
Joe

mark54321
02/17/2013, 10:49 AM
I use the BRS dosers,work very well. Over two years and no problems at all. Have them controlled via my RKL.

Froggy
02/17/2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Mark. I appreciate the feedback. It is nice to hear the BRS doser has been reliable for you.

--On a side note, how is your tank doing since the switch back to T5? I might have missed it but I have not noticed an update. Your tank is one I try to follow and admire.
Thanks,
Joe

JonnyD91
02/17/2013, 12:06 PM
If you have a controller already the BRS are a no brainer. 4 years now. I even run them dry sometimes.

Froggy
02/17/2013, 12:19 PM
If you have a controller already the BRS are a no brainer. 4 years now. I even run them dry sometimes.

Do I need a separate controller with the BRS doser or does it come with what I need to dose throughout the day ( a rate and amount I set )?

- Joe

Ron Reefman
02/17/2013, 12:58 PM
Take a look at these pumps. I got one a couple of months ago and it doses such small amounts I can dose 24/7 and everything stays super stable. I dose soda ash and mypH would go up and then down when I dosed over a 1 hour period. The pH would go from just over 8.0 to about 8.25 and then back down. Now it stays between 8.20 and 8.25 all the time. I found these after I bought BRS pumps, then found an Aqua Medic 2 pump system with a controller (used) and liked it better, so I bought it. I like not having to run a timer and consistantly dosing 24/7.

http://www.reefdosingpumps.com/

JonnyD91
02/17/2013, 01:06 PM
Do I need a separate controller with the BRS doser or does it come with what I need to dose throughout the day ( a rate and amount I set )?

- Joe

They dose at 1.1ml/min, so you would need something to turn the pump on and off for a certain amount of time. I use a Neptune Apex and run the pump every hour for 2 minutes, this spreads out the dose over a 24 hr time period. The problem with the all in one dossers is the are expensive. They average around 350.00. For 2 BRS you are at 160 bucks. A basic controller is about 250.00. So for around 410.00 you get a controller that you can use for other things plus the dossers. Also if the all in one breaks you have to get a whole new system. If a pump breaks with a separate controller you just replace the pump. The all in ones are too uni-tasker for me. JMO

ReefTeacher
02/17/2013, 01:35 PM
I have had the bubble magus doser for about 3 years now and it is very dependable. Every couple of years some heads need replacing....but they are only $25. I think in 3 years I have replaced about half the heads; I have the extension unit so I have 7 pumps all totalled. I think for the price this is a great and reliable unit.

jdraider75
02/17/2013, 01:45 PM

- Joe

BRS also sells digital timers with 8 different times you can set and dose daily, or weekly. They cost 20 bucks a piece.

Froggy
02/17/2013, 03:39 PM
BRS also sells digital timers with 8 different times you can set and dose daily, or weekly. They cost 20 bucks a piece.

This sounds like a painless easy way to set it up. Thanks for the idea!
Joe

mdbbears34
02/17/2013, 05:35 PM
I have been useing brs doseing pumps on an apex controller for 4 months now and have been very happy so far!

kissman
02/17/2013, 06:13 PM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html