PDA

View Full Version : HELP Diagnose Raised Bumps on PBT

2JZGTE
02/17/2013, 04:36 PM
Hi all, I'm trying to diagnose what my PBT has so that I can properly treat it. He's in my 30G quarantine tank, I received him last week and out of the bag he was in beautiful perfect condition. Now a week later I see these raised bumps all over his body. It doesn't look like ich, I've run into that before and know what that looks like. My yellow tang that is also in the QT had these bumps too last week, but now I don't see any on him at the moment. Both fish are doing great besides this. No scratching against the rocks, no flashing, and they eat very well.

Here are some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Don't mind the white particles you see in the pictures, they're free floating particles in the water, there is no white spots on the tangs as you would see with ich.

Could this just be stress induced? Any help is appreciated!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/RedT78Supra/IMG_6290.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/RedT78Supra/IMG_6269.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/RedT78Supra/IMG_6280.jpg

MrTuskfish
02/18/2013, 11:16 AM
I can't tell if its bubbles, spots, or dirty tank. The pics I see show white spots all over. This PBT is extremely thin and needs a lot more feeding of both veggies and meaty stuff. (All tangs love mysis). . Worming with Prazi-Pro should be done on all fish (IMO) and this may help the tang---if the skinny problem is die to parasitic worms. Are you treating for something now? Why all the fish in a QT.

2JZGTE
02/18/2013, 11:03 PM
I got all 5 fish in the past 2 weeks, they all went straight to QT.
Theres no white spots on the yellow or PBT, thats all free floating particles in the water. Those are not bubbles you're seeing on the PBT, its raised bumps on his body. I just dont know what he has.

I feed him lots of seaweed and mysis, I got him skinny but he eats well. Any ideas on what those raised bumps on his body are from? I've got prazi pro in the tank now.

Mrscribbled
02/19/2013, 12:47 AM
How long has Prozi been in the tank? Size of QT, and why is live rock in the QT?

2JZGTE
02/19/2013, 10:34 PM
Prazi has been in there for 2 days now. Its a 30G tank, live rocks are there to provide hiding places for the fishes and aid in nitrification. Is that not good to have the rocks in the tank?
Today the PBT looks much better than two days ago when i took those pictures. Could this be ich?

enjetek
02/19/2013, 10:51 PM
yes it can be ich it has a life cycle. you should treat them with cupramine and prazi pro.

btw go supras!

triggreef
02/19/2013, 11:10 PM
not at the same time!

Mrscribbled
02/20/2013, 08:34 AM
These bumps are not ich. There should be no live rock in qt, it will absorb medication, harbor parasites, bacteria, and when you remove it to copper treat, your bio filtration will be disrupted. Pvc fittings and elbows work great.

MrTuskfish
02/20/2013, 12:46 PM
These bumps are not ich. There should be no live rock in qt, it will absorb medication, harbor parasites, bacteria, and when you remove it to copper treat, your bio filtration will be disrupted. Pvc fittings and elbows work great.

I agree with all points. The PBT may be looking better because he's eating.

2JZGTE
02/20/2013, 02:22 PM
Good points. I plan to slowly remove the rocks so that it doesn't disrupt the biological filtration too fast, and replace them with some PVC fittings. I didn't think this was ich either because the fish all behave normally, no itching, scratching, flashing, etc. I still think there is something (besides food) causing these raised bumps. Whether it's parsitic or viral I don't know, but hopefully I'm wrong and it's just pimples or something non-infectious. No one else has seen this before? I was thinking of applying a second dose of Prazi Pro in a few days and then keeping an eye on the PBT and the YT for a few more weeks to make sure they're good. What would be a safe timeframe to wait before introducing them to my display tank?

MrTuskfish, what does a healthy PBT look like if you think this one is skinny?

2JZGTE
02/20/2013, 02:24 PM
btw go supras!

I knew someone would recognize it someday. 94 single turbo here

enjetek
02/20/2013, 06:14 PM
The reason there may be parasites is because it is so skinny. You can see its 'backbone'

Single here also 4094r here

MrTuskfish
02/21/2013, 12:06 PM
Good points. I plan to slowly remove the rocks so that it doesn't disrupt the biological filtration too fast, and replace them with some PVC fittings. I didn't think this was ich either because the fish all behave normally, no itching, scratching, flashing, etc. I still think there is something (besides food) causing these raised bumps. Whether it's parsitic or viral I don't know, but hopefully I'm wrong and it's just pimples or something non-infectious. No one else has seen this before? I was thinking of applying a second dose of Prazi Pro in a few days and then keeping an eye on the PBT and the YT for a few more weeks to make sure they're good. What would be a safe timeframe to wait before introducing them to my display tank?

MrTuskfish, what does a healthy PBT look like if you think this one is skinny?
Here's a perfect one. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+366&pcatid=366.

You can see much of the backbone on yours. be sure to do the 2nd dose of PP; its needed to get the newly hatched flukes left after the 1st dose. The bumps are a mystery to me, but if they're disappearing it could just be feeding better, killing parasitic worms with the PP, or both.

2JZGTE
02/22/2013, 12:56 AM
That's funny, I got the PBT from Live Aquaria.

2JZGTE
02/22/2013, 10:10 AM
So I was reading up on Flukes and decided to do a 10min freshwater dip to see what I would find.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/RedT78Supra/flukes.jpg

You can see all the little white eggs or organisms on the bottom of the bucket. I remember now that I did see some brown spotches on the PBT before the raised bumps were seen, which is another indicator of flukes. So now the question is would this be the cause of the raised bumps on the PBT and YT? I see nothing on the anthias, dottyback or chromis. I don't see anything on the YT or PBT now either. I'm temporarily putting all the fish in a rubbermaid container with brand new saltwater, heater, air stone and added Prazi Pro. I know I need to keep an eye on ammonia, but my plan is to drain, clean out, sterilize and air dry my quarantine setup and then transfer the fishes back in a few days. Hopefully this dose of Prazi Pro will do the trick and kill anything else remaining on the fishes.

jamesbaur13
02/22/2013, 10:29 PM
Tough to see from the pic... do they look like a speck of dust or do they look small round and clear?

You described them as little white eggs... which makes me think it could be a parasitic flatworm. Although your pic of the fish doesn't really fit with "black ich", it could be something similar... based off the remains you see in the bucket.