PDA

View Full Version : What kind of "carpet" for my tank?

MidMichiganReef
02/18/2013, 07:11 PM
I've always wanted a carpet anemone as they are very rarely seen in tanks in Michigan and I find them fascinating. I would have to have it shipped so take that into consideration. It will still be a while before I go down that road as my tank is new. I have had multiple BTAs in the past that hosted clowns and would not consider myself a newb to nems.

My tank is a 29g Biocube that is drilled and modified. I have a RapidLed dimmable kit run by an Apex, Mp10wes, and a RO skimmer. Here is a pic of my aquascape:

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt297/tcwoodrn/8E40091C-CF76-4496-AC7D-D8DCFCEB020C-13477-000011866F716055_zpsdee5c1c3.jpg

I'd like to put a small haddoni, malu, gig, or something similar. I would plan to keep it small by controlling feedings.

Any suggestions?

Toddrtrex
02/18/2013, 09:36 PM
An H. malu isn't considered a "carpet", however, it is the only anemone that you listed that I would put in that sized tank.

Even without (( or limited )) feedings, the anemone will grow -- if you don't have enough lighting for it to grow, it wouldn't make it anyways.

ct_vol
02/18/2013, 09:43 PM
I would also add that you should wait until the tank is properly cycled and mature.

OrionN
02/18/2013, 09:47 PM
A agree with Todd. A malu is the way to go for a 29 g tank long term. Short term (months) other anemone can be OK but they they won't last long term.

biodegraded
02/18/2013, 09:59 PM
My addition is to warn you not to go by its size at the LFS either. Back in the Pleistocene (1988) when I got my first anemone, a magnifica, it was nearly 5" at the store. That seemed like a perfect size for the spot I had in mind in my 120.

As everyone here will now know (no internet for most people back then, though I had it and rec.aquaria on Usenet would get a post a month or so), magnifica have a mind of their own and it promptly left my designated spot to spend a few weeks wandering around the tank, knocking over and stinging nearly everything else, until it finally found a spot it liked (tallest rock right under a 175 MH). The A. melanopus pair I had took to it and all I needed to do was move a coral or two out of reach of its 5" disc.

Then it decided it was happy. It promptly inflated to well over 2' in diameter. I had to push all other corals into 1/3 of the volume at the other end of the tank. I basically had a species tank for years till I broke it down.

MidMichiganReef
02/19/2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, guess I'll look at malus. They don't carry malus, haddonis, or gigs in stores in Michigan, they seem to be more of a west coast thing. And yes I certainly know not to throw a nem in an unestablished uncycled tank. Like I said, I have years of experience with BTAs just never these kinds because they're unavailable except via shipping.