PDA

View Full Version : Arranging sump/fuge

Singlefile43
02/18/2013, 08:44 PM

I build my walls in my sump before I had a good idea of what I was doing needless to say I didn't leave a lot of room for equipment, can I move the fuge section to my far right and make the middle the return? With the way my dividers are?

aus996
02/18/2013, 09:56 PM
Not ideal as you wont have much if any flow through the fuge as the water will be returning to the tank prior to reaching the fuge (if I undertsand it correctly. What's your issue/challenge with the way its currently configured? We might be able to sort something else out:spin1:

Just of the cuff I suppose you could place a small pump in the middle section to pump into the fuge sectio at the end and have that overflow back but it kind of defeats the end to end flwo through purpose of the sump; do-able if not overly effective nonetheless

aus996
02/18/2013, 10:04 PM
Hmmm just had another look at the photo.

First up, are they acrylic dividers that are just siliconed in? If so, then it might be best to start over again with the sump design, it wont take much to get it right.

As it stands at the moment it seems you may have missed the idea behind how a flow through sump is designed to work. This one just appears to be a tank with a few room dividers creating a lot of dead space pockets (no offence meant here).:eek2:

If the dividers are glass i still shouldnt be too much of an issue, you just have to remove a bit more silicone and take a bit more care in removing them. We should be able to get you set up with a cool flow through sump design in no time, plenty of knowledgable people on here willing to help.

Singlefile43
02/18/2013, 10:25 PM
It's just plexi glass so I should prolly start here, how do I remove the plexi glass properly and how do I get all the remaining silicone off the tank glass and the plexi glass?

Singlefile43
02/18/2013, 10:26 PM
Then ill just redo it I was trying to rearrange it so I could fit equipment in the first slot shoulda made it bigger

marvelousone
02/18/2013, 10:28 PM
Razor blade work good. I had to do the same thing on my first fuge.

YamahaF934
02/19/2013, 10:41 AM
What size tank? What other equipment do you want to have down there? Is there room for bigger sump or a remote refugium? A refugium 10% of the display volume is the key when designing a sump.

Cut out the plexi glass. Get some 1/4inch glass cut. Your sump now looks like it leaks around the seams of the baffles because there is no split water levels.

Check out this drawing of my sump design. Obviously your dimensions are going to be different. Distance between bubble trap baffles should be about an inch.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/YamahaF934/FinalSump_zps68ef4269.png