PDA

View Full Version : GFO in a Reef Octopus Biopellet reactor?

Wingman6
02/19/2013, 12:01 AM
long story short I shut down my biopellet reactor but am thinking in the coming weeks I will need to set up something to help remove some phosphate such as GFO (Chemipure?). I have a reef octopus 110 (i think that is the model) but was wondering if anyone has used such a reactor for GFO or other filtration.

Any input is appreciated.

Reefamasta
02/19/2013, 12:15 AM
sure could i would just get some sponge that fits the bottom and top and slow the flow down will work fine

Wingman6
02/19/2013, 12:27 AM
sure could i would just get some sponge that fits the bottom and top and slow the flow down will work fine

Awesome thanks. I'm able to cut the flow a ton as I have a t off my return with a valve. I take it you don't want to tumble gfo?

Reefamasta
02/19/2013, 12:53 AM
no you do want it to tumble. just not like the pellets. i usually like the top of my gfo to be going good. you can look and see your gfo slowly moving up and throughout the reactor. carbon is the one that will break down with too much tumble. im actually looking into BRS high capacity gfo. that stuff will be a life saver for me not wanting to upgrade my reactor or pump after a small tank upgrade. need more gfo and want to use the same pump and reactor

Wingman6
02/19/2013, 02:32 AM
no you do want it to tumble. just not like the pellets. i usually like the top of my gfo to be going good. you can look and see your gfo slowly moving up and throughout the reactor. carbon is the one that will break down with too much tumble. im actually looking into BRS high capacity gfo. that stuff will be a life saver for me not wanting to upgrade my reactor or pump after a small tank upgrade. need more gfo and want to use the same pump and reactor

OK that makes sense. I read a few posts that you will clog easily if you don't have enough flow or filters. I was thinking along the lines of light tumbling. As you said, no carbon in there.