PDA

View Full Version : cal alk question

bighead
02/19/2013, 03:40 PM
I just cycled my tank and did a 20 gal water change. My tank is 90 Gal
my Cal is around 380 and Alk is 9DKH I do not have a mag test kit yet so I dont add it I have added some purple up and thats it everythiong remains the same. will the addition of mag raise the two if the mag is low

nystang
02/19/2013, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't use/add anything at this point except maybe Microbacter7 and Seachem Stability. But this is optional and some would say not necessary. You don't have a magnesium test kit so you can't assume it's low. If you use a decent salt mix you have the right parameters to start the tank. Don't spend money on things that are truly unnecessary. Your Ca is fine and so is the alkalinity. Test your salinity with a refractometer and make sure you don't have nitrite nor ammonia.
Wait until those parameters are stable before adding anything and I mean livestock.
Again don't add any additives at this moment. If you are sure that your bacteria load is sufficient you don't need to add those two bottled bacteria neither.

bighead
02/19/2013, 04:16 PM
my am level is 0 and nitrite 0 nitrate 25 the only thing I am thinking of adding is a clean up crew the tank has benn running for 6 weeks now my sg is 1.024 and I use crystal sea marine mix

nystang
02/19/2013, 04:59 PM
You are ready then. Monitor ammonia and nitrite after adding CUC. It adds some bioload to the tank and some people (including me) noticed a small spike in ammonia after adding it, especially if you add a whole package like reefcleaners packages for example. I was adding Microbacter7 at the very beginning. It definitely helped with tank stability right after the cycle. I used dry rocks and live sand so my bacteria load was not large after my cycle completed.

bighead
02/19/2013, 06:34 PM
I am actually getting my CUC from reefcleeners I plan on waiting about a month after CUC to add anything else if the CUC makes tank more stable will that actually help the cal and alk

bertoni
02/20/2013, 06:49 PM
Adding magnesium won't change the alkalinity or calcium levels unless it's very, very badly overdosed, at the very least. At least some tanks never need magnesium supplementation, so I'd not worry about that parameter until the test kit arrives.

FWIW, the PurpleUp is mostly just fine sand, and it won't do anything useful.