PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on what to do regarding my pump

Driftdiver
02/19/2013, 05:39 PM
Last week during a severe thunderstorm, we had a weird glitch in the power which apparently destroyed the impeller on my Iwaki WMD40RXLT. Now I am faced with the unfortunate decision of either replacing my whole pump or the impeller. In the past this would have been a no brainer...I would have just replaced the impeller and been done with it. Unfortunately, it appears that none of my local stores has the part in stock and although I can get it, the price is over 1/3 the cost of just replacing the whole thing. The other factor that I am considering is that the pump has been in continuous use for just under six years. When I spoke with an Iwaki representative, I was told they last between 5 and 10 years.

Given the age of my pump and the cost of the impeller, I am wondering if it may be wiser to just replace the pump. Then again, I sit there and wonder whether the pump would last another 6 years with just the new impeller and no extra out of pocket.

My question is three fold:
1. For those of you who have Iwaki's - how long have they lasted before needing to be replaced.

2. What would you do in this siutation.

3. Anything I might not be considering.

Thanks.

tkeracer619
02/19/2013, 07:50 PM
We need some system information. Size, livestock, ect ect.

1. No idea, haven't needed to replace any of them yet.
2. Replace it. It has an american motor. I would think it has seen its effective life. The Japanese motor is the more durable unit.
3. Why the impeller broke. Power surges do not effect impellers.

This pump will flow as much and will use about 40% of the power. Don't let the look, name, or application scare you. This pump is saltwater safe, looks normal once the egg grating comes off, and is made by Askoll in Italy. Its the same block on the Red Dragon pumps. Silent as well. I use one for my skimmer pump.

It is internal and water cooled so it will probably add about the same amount of heat to the tank as the iwaki which is primarily air cooled.
http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Max-Flo-Electronic-Waterfall-Filter/dp/B000HAQPPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361324647&sr=8-1&keywords=laguna+max+flo+1500

mussel and hate
02/19/2013, 10:07 PM
1. My Iwaki WMD20-RLT has been running my skimmer/return 24/7 since the '90s.

2. Tear it down and check the bearings for wear. If the bearings are good just replace the impeller.

3. A strainer on the intake to prevent future impeller failures?

The moving parts tend to wear out long before the windings fail. If the bearings are sound and all you need is an impeller then save the $ and hassle of re-plumbing, just get the part.

tkeracer619
02/19/2013, 11:56 PM
That's awesome!

azjohnny
02/20/2013, 01:32 AM
We need some system information. Size, livestock, ect ect.

1. No idea, haven't needed to replace any of them yet.
2. Replace it. It has an american motor. I would think it has seen its effective life. The Japanese motor is the more durable unit.
3. Why the impeller broke. Power surges do not effect impellers.

This pump will flow as much and will use about 40% of the power. Don't let the look, name, or application scare you. This pump is saltwater safe, looks normal once the egg grating comes off, and is made by Askoll in Italy. Its the same block on the Red Dragon pumps. Silent as well. I use one for my skimmer pump.

It is internal and water cooled so it will probably add about the same amount of heat to the tank as the iwaki which is primarily air cooled.
http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Max-Flo-Electronic-Waterfall-Filter/dp/B000HAQPPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361324647&sr=8-1&keywords=laguna+max+flo+1500

I have the same pump. They are quiet and since they are a pond pump are designed to be abused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazy
02/20/2013, 04:53 AM
Iwaki's are Great Pumps. I run a Jap model on my 75! Ran one on my 210 as well... Excellent and highly suggested to others...

I'd try an Impeller or get a jap motor unit and be care free for some years to come!

Ron Reefman
02/20/2013, 06:32 AM
Buy both. Put the new pump into your system and put the old pump with the new impeller on the shelf as a back up. Next time something fails, you have a good, reliable pump right at your fingertips. That's that I'd do anyway.

Driftdiver
02/20/2013, 02:19 PM
I actually spoke with an Iwaki engineer regarding the impeller failure and given the fact that there was no other possible cause (intake is screened, nothing blocking the intake screens, nothing in the pump), he indicated that the power issue likely caused the impeller failure.

It wasnt exactly a power surge. It was a combination of the power started browning out, then surged, then blacked out, then came back on before browning out again.

tkeracer619
02/20/2013, 05:43 PM
I mean tornadoes send pine needles through trees so I guess anything is possible.

If that is the case then the impeller was already damaged or fatigued and would have broken anyways. Any impacts delivered via the motor will have a somewhat dampened effect by the magnetic couple and you are pushing against water.

It could quite simply be that the next time you turned it off, it was going to break anyways.

mussel and hate
02/21/2013, 05:51 PM
Impellers shouldn't break with power fluctuation. Sure there's some extra load on start-up but if the impeller can't handle it that impeller is defective.

I'm thinking cavitation or physical obstruction. Since your intake is screened physical obstruction is less likely though possible since things can grow in the plumbing over time. If the screen on your intake were clogged cavitation could occur.