PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Spectrapure RO/DI replacement filters

stevereef
02/20/2013, 02:43 AM
Greetings fellow reefers...

I current own a Spectrapure 90 gal max cap RO/DI unit. The water I live isn't too hard. Hmm out of the pipes, my water is around 100 TDS. I recently change out my DI/Super DI media after 3 years. I tend to change out the pre-filter and carbon once a year. It's been 4 years and I haven't changed out the RO membrane. All TDS meters are good, first TDS meter IN reads ~100 OUT reads ~4-5 . The second TDS IN reads ~4-5 and OUT ZERO.

My question I'm looking for an alternative filters than paying up the nose for the Spectrapure brand. Anyhow have luck with the 100 GPD Filmtec Residential RO Membrane found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LMFV26/ref=pe_199450_28329780_email_1p_0_ti.

Also looking for an alternative to Spectrapure zetazorb 0.2 micron pre-filter and 0.5 carbon filter.

Any help would be much appreciated. THanks!

turtlespd
02/20/2013, 03:22 AM
I recommend purchasing a Dow filtec 75gpd ro membrane from any of the sponsors on here for they usually have the best rejection rates and depending on ur pressure u can get 100 gph from it. I run it and have a 99% rejection rate at 75 psi which is amazing. As far as the prefilter I use the brs they have purtrex filters. The filters are true graded density filters that capture larger particles at the surface and smaller particles in the middle. So it can trap from .06 to 5 micron which is good enough. As for the carbon I buy it where ever I buy my prefilters as long as they have .5 carbon ur good but do buy from a reputable source.
I don't know many reefers who swear by zeta zorb buti w tons who just run .05 Micron sediment just fine.

azjohnny
02/20/2013, 05:13 AM
I would stay with Spectrapure. You will change out other brands more often, I have experience with that....LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazy
02/20/2013, 05:34 AM
I would stay with Spectrapure. You will change out other brands more often, I have experience with that....LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have all Spectrapure replacements in my closet!

I'm sticking with what I have... when I had a the filter guys unit, I only used there stuff....

I'm just one of those kinda people...

stevereef
02/21/2013, 01:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I may not need to change out my RO membrane. I was getting worried, it's been almost 4 years but I'm still getting 96% rejection. Check out the videos on spectrapure.com or look for their youtube channel...