PDA

View Full Version : Zoa polyp size?

reeferoni
02/20/2013, 07:20 AM
Hi, I have a small colony of zoas in my tank (specifically Miami Hurricanes), which I bought off Diver's Den a few months back. The frag originally had 3 heads, and growth has exploded to 25+ heads in a short time.

My question, however, is how large the individual polyps themselves should be-- for zoas in general or, if this is something that is specific to each variety, for Miami Hurricanes? I had always had the impression that zoa polyps got quite large (maybe between 1/2"-1" in diameter or comparable to the size of small/medium aiptasia), but though my colony seems to be doing well and is multiplying, the heads themselves are not quite as large as I expected them to be. If certain varieties of zoas have naturally larger polyps/heads, what are some examples of those that are larger as I'd like to add a few?

If it matters, I have them quite high up in the tank under an 8-bulb T5HO fixture with moderate flow and no nitrates/moderately low phosphates (they seem to do better and extend more higher in the tank vs lower). Ammonia/Nitrites are 0 and SG is 1.024.

Thanks for any input you all may have on this for a new zoa keeper :)

jbm421
02/22/2013, 10:07 PM
Usually depends on the Zoa. There are smaller ones like micro zoas but for the most part they don't get as large as say palys. My friend spot fed some zoas and they turned out to be much larger than mine. Haven't really messed with them that much to see if you can make them larger by doing so or if it was just a fluke.

Shallow Planet
03/03/2013, 06:56 PM
Definitely depends on the type. I have several and some colonies have smaller ones then others.

650-IS350
03/04/2013, 11:21 AM
there's zoanthus gigantus
http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/feature-articles/zoanthus-gigantus-10803/

they're zoanthids and just larger up to the size of dimes or even nickles

mrbigshot
03/05/2013, 02:03 AM
micro zoas are the size of a pinhead to to the size of a small straw like a coffee stir er,. regular zoas are about the size of a pencil eraser to a larger straw like at mcdonalds, palythoeas can easily go to the size of a dime to nickle. palythoa grandis palys and some really large palythoas can get as large as a quarter.it depends on light, flow, and if there disturbed or not. the larger ones can eat small mysid shrimp. the smaller ones oyster eggs and fine filter foods like reefchili.

worm5406
03/05/2013, 07:21 AM
Hi, I have a small colony of zoas in my tank (specifically Miami Hurricanes), which I bought off Diver's Den a few months back. The frag originally had 3 heads, and growth has exploded to 25+ heads in a short time.

How long? I see a few months, but just wondering.

What is the temp?

Do you have any pictures?