PDA

View Full Version : lost power. what to do now?

rhdc2itr
02/20/2013, 04:05 PM
When I went to work yesterday afternoon everything was fine and running. I got home at around 11 pm and found that the power was off in our complex. Supposedly the power has been off since 1 pm. Around 10 am today the power finally came back on. Everything in my tank looks ****ed of now, water temp is at 53 when the power was off, but now the temp is back at 78 after three hours. My corals are all ****ed of, half of my frogspawns and torches are still closed and the one that are open are small and shrivel. Fishes seem to be ok. Should I be worried? What should I do now to save a potential problem from happening? Anything I can do to add with the stress of the tank?

sniper2be
02/20/2013, 05:25 PM
give it time don't give up. battery backup and or generator.. i know it all cost money... but is best advice i can offer

bertoni
02/20/2013, 08:16 PM
I would measure the ammonia level, and dose some Amquel or Prime, if there's any measurable level. I'd also do some small water changes (15% or so) and add some fresh GAC. Other than that, about all you can do is wait. Good luck! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! :(

bobt2
02/21/2013, 11:13 AM
i,ve had this happen a few times till i bought a generator. the 1st thing i loose any xenia and shrimp. the rock will come back, use lots of flow and be ready to make water changes/remove any corals that don't look good to a quarintine tank

rhdc2itr
02/21/2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. since this was a major crashed 3 of my trachyphilia is dying ( sliming and melting ), 4 of my torches has melted away too. Hopefully everything else is going to make it, but only time will tell.

Now my tank is very cloudy. So what should I do now? Already did a 15 percent water change, changed my carbon and gfo. Anything else I need to do?

origreefer
02/21/2013, 05:20 PM
I lost most of my tank after a 7-day power outage in dead winter.. Tanks got to 54 degrees even with the fireplace going and a small propane heater on it. Almost all the fish survived, because they don't get stressed as much when the temp drops slowly. I would get the fish out of that tank ASAP in a QT tank. Then just hope what's left of the reef survives. You are going to go thru a cycle for sure, even with big water changes.

The following year, I got a small generator just big enough to run the tanks. I ran that one 96 hours straight and when I shut it down, it seized. Now, I have a solar system with large battery back-up. It can run the tanks for weeks without power. Plus, it's silent and I can use it when I'm at work without worrying about thieves stealing the generator. Where I live I lose power many times a year, wind, snow, rain, sun, you name it.

Skynyrd Fish
02/21/2013, 07:36 PM
I think the temp swing may have been a little fast on the way up. Not that it really would have made a difference. That totaly sucks that your temp tanked that much. +1 on move the fish to a quarantine.

Michigan Mike
02/21/2013, 07:54 PM
One of my cichlid tanks lost power last night for 12 hours before I noticed it. Lost 3 fish and many where on the way out if much more time had passed.
Just a reminder how sensitive our tanks can be.
Generators & back ups for power outage is something every serious reefer should have.

rhdc2itr
02/21/2013, 09:07 PM
what kind of generators do you guys recommend?

bertoni
02/22/2013, 12:20 AM
I'll keep harping about watching the ammonia. That's the primary worry, at this point. I'd probably remove dying animals as soon as possible, too, in case they're about to release toxins.

rhdc2itr
02/22/2013, 05:01 PM
yeah i been watching the ammonia leaves and they are fine, i have just been throwing any corals away that have been reeding or melting. Woke up today and found all 8 of my chalices have died, two more trachy melting away. I just chucked them and the water is still very cloudy. Also added some purigen today.

bertoni
02/22/2013, 11:22 PM
Well, that's depressing. :( I hope the situation stabilizes soon. The Purigen sounds like a good idea to me.

rhdc2itr
02/23/2013, 03:40 PM
everything else seems to be doing ok. zoa are starting ti open back up, no more die off so far. But the tank still hasnt really cleared up yet.

bertoni
02/24/2013, 12:14 AM
Okay, hopefully the worst is over. I'd keep up with the fresh carbon and ammonia testing.

rhdc2itr
02/24/2013, 03:31 PM
thanks bertoni and everybody that helped me out. The tank has been stable now. No more die off, parameter is good now. Water is finally clear.

Tennyson98
02/25/2013, 12:35 PM
It all depends on how often you power goes out. Do you live in the country or get lots of bad weather and its a common thing? Where I live power goes doesnt go out for often. So i have a APC1500 Battery backup on my system. When the power goes out the battery backup runs my heater, pump and blowers. I let everything else go out, you need the very basics going in a time like this and the less you have running the longer the battery will last. I have ran on battery for over 15 hours. I feel it would go for 24+ hours if needed. I highly recommend and battery backup for any system. It costs money but if you have spend $5-10k+ into your tank, whats 500 bucks on a battery backup.

Rognin
02/25/2013, 01:25 PM
I bought a UPS before I bought my reef pack or my Live rock. All I had was 20lbs of live sand, a powerhead, heater and a fluval C4 HOB filter. The next purchase was a UPS (900w). It runs everything but the heater for 24+ hours, I've not tested it with the heater yet, which I will do in March.

The solar panel thing is a great idea, I'm gonna have to shop around for that!

hllywd
02/25/2013, 02:59 PM
A 1 kW generator will run a lot of equipment for around a couple hundred bucks. I have a little 2 cycle that will run 8 - 10 hours on a gallon of gas. It's a backup now that I have one to run most of the house. Your complex may not allow a generator so check first.