PDA

View Full Version : Premixed RC storage problem

meklo
02/20/2013, 11:03 PM
I have a brute trashcan that I keep premixed saltwater in. Usually I mix up enough to get me through 3-5 water changes. I use RO water to fill it. It is a BRS 75 gallon/per day 4-stage unit. I have a tds meter and it reads 0. Membrane and filters are nowhere close to needing replaced. In the trashcan I keep a heater and a pump (about 250 gallons per hour) for circulation. The trashcan is only around 30ish gallons.

The problem I am having is it keeps spoiling on me. I get maybe two weeks out the saltwater before it starts to smell. It is a rotten smell. Whatever nutrients are in the Reef Crystals mix are breaking down and if you let it sit a day or two the ammonia will measure off the charts. There will be a heavy slime that coats everything too.

In the past I haven't had this problem. Now it seems to happen every batch I make. I have broken down the set up and scrubbed everything a couple times now and it is still reoccurring. One constant has been it is all the same 5 gallon bucket of RC.

Any ideas? I'd love some input!

tkeracer619
02/21/2013, 12:46 AM
It contains vitamins and won't last. Switch to Instant Ocean and buffer it yourself to the proper levels.

mtcoins123
02/21/2013, 06:11 AM
Around here we have an "iron bacteria" that is very very difficult to eliminate from the water even RO water dispensing at 3 or 5 will still have it and will spoil water quickly usualy presents a white film or milky scum at some point there are 3 different strains i think but here is some basic info (http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/drinkingwater/documents/pubs/ironbactiinwell.pdf) i think this is more widespread problem in the hobby than is acknowledged

meklo
02/21/2013, 11:16 AM
@tkeracer619 - alright, thanks. I have been considering that. Where I live it is hard to get a variety of salt. There isn't much in the way of local places to buy salt and I've had trouble getting salt shipped because of the weight.

@mtcoins123 - Thanks for the link, I will definitely look into that.

medic155
02/21/2013, 11:51 AM
@tkeracer619 - alright, thanks. I have been considering that. Where I live it is hard to get a variety of salt. There isn't much in the way of local places to buy salt and I've had trouble getting salt shipped because of the weight.

@mtcoins123 - Thanks for the link, I will definitely look into that.

Have you tried amazon? A couple vendors there do 5.99 shipping, but I'm not sure about to Alaska.

meklo
02/21/2013, 04:20 PM
I haven't tried amazon lately and maybe I should be looking into that. I know getting stuff shipped here online can be very expensive. Sometimes I pay more for shipping than I do for what I am buying. Thanks for the idea, though. I'll looking into more online vendors.