PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical vodka dosing question...

jordancemery65
02/21/2013, 10:18 AM
So i have been dosing vodka/vinegar for a little while now... about 4-5 months maybe... anyways when i started i just bought a couple rubbermaid containers and drilled a small hole in each of them and placed the tubing in for my dosing pumps yaddah yaddah yaddah... filled with vodka and the other with vinegar and left it alone... Well today i was re-arranging the shelving and i took the cover off the vodka container and it smells just like regular rubbing alcohol... Is that normal? What should I do? Should i leave it alone and wait for it to dose the rest and then refill it with vodka? or should i change it out immediately????

ReachTheSky
02/21/2013, 10:41 AM
Well, vodka is the purest form of consumable alcohol. Why wouldn't it smell similar to rubbing alcohol? It doesn't get stale either. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use it.

jordancemery65
02/21/2013, 10:51 AM
Ok... Thanks! I just wanted to make sure! It doesnt smell like it did when i first bought it... like i said... smells just like rubbing alcohol! Thanks for your reply! :)

CliftonArbogast
02/21/2013, 10:54 AM
sorry but vodka ( ethanol alcohol) is not the same as rubbing ( isopropyl alcohol) not sure why would smell an isopropyl smell from an old container of vodka, if you did not contaminate the alcohols and all you put in the vodka container was vodka, just keep using it. if you think it got contaminated, the switch it out, better to loose a whole 10 dollars than mess tank up (IMO).
Not that it matters much but everclear is the purest form vodka has lost mor ewater than everclear does, anything over it and i would not drink it since chemicals are needed to remove the last 5% of water.
Also, why not just leave in bottle, whole lot easire to oke a hole in bottle cap once then transfer from bottle to container.

ReachTheSky
02/21/2013, 11:51 AM
You're right, the two alcohols are chemically different but cheaper vodkas smell a lot like rubbing alcohol. Does anyone dose Belvedere in their tanks? I didn't think so.

You know what they say. One can heal your wounds and the other can... well... heal your wounds. :)

disc1
02/21/2013, 02:20 PM
I've never been able to tell the two by smell. That's the whole reason I can't drink vodka because it all smells just like rubbing alcohol to me.

rrasco
02/21/2013, 02:59 PM
Well, let's just say I can tell the difference between Belvedere and Heaven's Hill. And I hate vodka, all clear liquor for that matter.

I will research outside of here, but briefly, does vodka offer something vinegar doesn't for carbon dosing? Vinegar is a wee-bit cheaper no? Just curious why vodka instead of just vinegar. Other than the smell of course.

ReachTheSky
02/21/2013, 03:24 PM
They're different sources of carbon (Acetate in vinegar vs. Ethanol in vodka). Some reefers use sugar as their carbon source as well. It's a case by case thing.

One thing we can logically assume is that vodka wouldn't affect pH as much as vinegar.

barjam
02/21/2013, 08:27 PM
Drinking vodka by itself sucks. I use it to mix.

Something to consider many of the brown alcohols are brown because do the contamination they get in the charred barrels. Mmmm wood/charcoal contamination. I get headaches from the impurities.

barjam
02/21/2013, 08:29 PM
They're different sources of carbon (Acetate in vinegar vs. Ethanol in vodka). Some reefers use sugar as their carbon source as well. It's a case by case thing.

One thing we can logically assume is that vodka wouldn't affect pH as much as vinegar.

Per Randy that assumption is incorrect. Sure at first the ph drops but apparently it ends up being equal after a bit due to the chemical processes involved. I don't recall the exact sequence.

keithhays
02/21/2013, 08:47 PM
I just want to say that if at any point my screwdriver smells like rubbing alcohol, either I am really drunk or someone is trying to kill me...or both. Either way, I would likely toss it and see if there were any teenagers loose in my house. :)

azjohnny
02/21/2013, 09:22 PM
I've never been able to tell the two by smell. That's the whole reason I can't drink vodka because it all smells just like rubbing alcohol to me.

Taste like it too....LOL

I like to mix mine with Kaluha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertoni
02/21/2013, 11:26 PM
Tanks have varying reactions to vinegar and vodka. If you want to try vinegar, there's no reason not to switch over slowly to see how it goes.

I suspect the smell is just from the plastic, and can be ignored.

rrasco
02/22/2013, 07:59 AM
Something to consider many of the brown alcohols are brown because do the contamination they get in the charred barrels. Mmmm wood/charcoal contamination. I get headaches from the impurities.

That's true, all alcohol starts clear.

jordancemery65
02/22/2013, 08:45 AM
I dose both vodka and vinegar... I just thought it was weird when i opened that cover it smelled like rubbing alcohol... I dont drink so i wouldnt know that it was supposed to smell like that ;) hahahah Thank you all for clarifying! I am going to continue using it until its gone... Thank you :)

Neroon
02/23/2013, 09:21 PM
I don't know if this is your issue, but keep in mind that most plastics are not alcohol safe, especially high proof alcohols like vodka. I don't dose vodka, but if I did, I would not store it in a plastic container for fear of the other things that might leech into it. MHO.

tmz
02/24/2013, 12:00 AM
I also use vodka and vinegar and have for over 4 years They are very close as a a carobn source. Ethanol( vokda) oxidizes to vinegar (acetic acid) in tank water then go to acetate.
Sugars cause trouble for some corals including mine.

In an oversimplified look at the process of acetogenisis :polymers like biopellets starches and other carbohydrates breakdown to monomers including sugars , then to ethanol ,then to acetic acid then to acetate. Using ethanol or aceetic acid avoids the first two steps and the bacterial activity involved with them .

Was the vodka diluted in the dosing container. If so bacterial activity kept at bay by the alcholo content could be in play. I'd guess it's the container though and wouldn't use it if it smells bad.

ReachTheSky
02/24/2013, 10:26 AM
I don't know if this is your issue, but keep in mind that most plastics are not alcohol safe, especially high proof alcohols like vodka. I don't dose vodka, but if I did, I would not store it in a plastic container for fear of the other things that might leech into it. MHO.
High caliber booze is often sold in plastic containers so why wouldn't it be safe?

m&m1318
02/24/2013, 10:46 AM
Lol if you consider Skol as high calibre. smh

jordancemery65
02/24/2013, 12:09 PM
No, i do not dilute the vodka at all... It does not smell bad, it just smells like rubbing alcohol to me. I will look into getting a different container i guess...

Neroon
02/24/2013, 12:36 PM
High caliber booze is often sold in plastic containers so why wouldn't it be safe?

While true, there is still considerable controversy regarding the wisdom of doing so, especially for long term storage. Regardless, all plastics are not the same. I don't recall which, but I believe PETE or HDPE have seen more use in 80 proof spirits in recent years. Others may disolve or leech undesirables into your vodka and ultimately into your aquarium. I only urge caution.

floridascape
02/26/2013, 05:55 AM
Has any tried moonshine dosing yet?

rbp 4 135
02/26/2013, 07:04 AM
long as it wasnt run in a copper still....:hmm3:

bobdale
02/26/2013, 04:42 PM
Are using a regular doser similar to: (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/827/)? I am just now considering dosing. I have a large syringe with a clampable drip line (the kind we used in the hospital many years ago) to deliver the vodka. Has any one tried a gravity fed delivery system?

tmz
02/26/2013, 09:46 PM
I bolus dose twice a day by the capfull.