PDA

View Full Version : Bad water change affecting SPS - how to fix?

jackk
02/21/2013, 01:05 PM
Hi, I recently did a water change that messed up the salinity in my tank. I must have read the refractomter wrong, because the salinity in my tank dropped from 1.025 to 1.022 after the change. I noticed some loss of color on a few acros on the underside, and not as nice of polyp extension.

What is the best way to correct this? I was thinking of putting in 2 cups of salt per day till it was back up? Or should i just leave it at 1.022?

powderhound
02/21/2013, 01:41 PM
Just top your water off with salt water at 1.025 instead of fresh water. Go slow

sbreefer
02/21/2013, 03:04 PM
personally I wouldnt wait that long. true you should bring it up slowly but leaving salinity (and Ca, Alk, Mg) depressed for too long will cause damage as well. I'm thinking a fews days tops to return it to target salinity. I no longer use a refracotmeter as it proved terribly hard to keep claibrated. have you checked yours?

jackk
02/21/2013, 03:08 PM
personally I wouldnt wait that long. true you should bring it up slowly but leaving salinity (and Ca, Alk, Mg) depressed for too long will cause damage as well. I'm thinking a fews days tops to return it to target salinity. I no longer use a refracotmeter as it proved terribly hard to keep claibrated. have you checked yours?

Thanks. I did calibrate it recently, but not before the change. After seeing the acro and then testing salinity i was shocked. My wife thought i lost all of our savings in the stock market or something, i was jumping around mad at myself. ;)

What do you use? I dont know if i trust the cond prop on my apex that much.

sbreefer
02/21/2013, 03:12 PM
i use a pinpoint salinity probe and an instant ocean SG for back up. I calibrate the pinpoint once/mo but it never drifts far. my Apex probe is all over the map as well. and I only use it to shut down the skimmer if Im away and the salinity gets depressed due to a foam over.

jackk
02/21/2013, 03:14 PM
i use a pinpoint salinity probe and an instant ocean SG for back up. I calibrate the pinpoint once/mo but it never drifts far. my Apex probe is all over the map as well. and I only use it to shut down the skimmer if Im away and the salinity gets depressed due to a foam over.

Thanks! Have you seen the milwalkee instruments probe? Do you think the instant ocean is better?

sbreefer
02/21/2013, 03:16 PM
nah the IO I have is just the ghetto plastic hydrometer. but it IS fairly acurate and will keep the fancy stuff honest. the probe I use is a pinpoint