PDA

View Full Version : Purple Feather Hydroids?

PowerNap
02/21/2013, 06:10 PM
Can anyone confirm this as a feather hydroid? If so, what's the best way to get rid of it? Last time this stuff showed up I removed the rock, and gave it a couple of months to dry out in the garage. I even had an IR heat lap cook the rock to help dry it out.

PowerNap
02/21/2013, 06:11 PM
Double post

Amphiprion
02/21/2013, 07:11 PM
What are you referring to in the pic? I don't see a hydroid anywhere. That patch near the clownfish looks like an alga from what I can tell. What I've done in the past for hydroids is, if the rock is removable (and practical to do so), kill it with fire. Quite literally, burn it. I've come to do the same with any reasonably accessible Aiptasia, seeing as how my last several systems are skimmerless, which allows all sorts of things to get out of control.

Edit: Any way to put on some gloves and pluck a bit of it? I still don't think it is any sort of pinnate hydroid, but it wouldn't hurt to get a closer shot.

PowerNap
02/21/2013, 07:30 PM
It looks like caulerpa taxifolia, but w/o the vine, and it's purple. Is there such a thing as purple caulerpa? The emerald crab dosen't want anything to do with the stuff. I can remove the rock with the largest clump, but there are a few other small spots less easily removed. Whatever it is it's ard to kill. If i remember correctly, the rock sat under the heat lamp for 3 days, then on the shelf for a month, then powerwashed, then in a bucket of fresh water for about another month...

Amphiprion
02/21/2013, 07:59 PM
Hmm, it sounds closer to Bryopsis, which is pinnate and resembles a smaller Caulerpa species. The only inconsistency is that it is purple... it's probably the pic, but it looks green.

PowerNap
02/21/2013, 08:25 PM
Green from the side, purple on top. I think I'll take the rock out and hit it with a blow torch...

tektite
02/22/2013, 02:41 PM
That is bryopsis, definitely want to get rid of it.

SoLiD
02/23/2013, 03:41 AM
Looks like bryopsis to me too. Hydroids react when touched IME. If it retracts when touched then it's not any algae that I know of. If it doesn't, then it's probably bryopsis.

PowerNap
02/25/2013, 04:27 PM
It did't react when touched. I took the rock out removed what I could then hit the affected areas with a propane torch. Sadly three blue leg hermits were hiding deep in the rock, poor guys. Cleaner shrimp loved it

PowerNap
02/25/2013, 04:28 PM
Double post