PDA

View Full Version : Renew pro or advanced pro

Adamc1303
02/21/2013, 11:17 PM
What are the main differences in the two systems.

Also where do you ship from? I am in NYC and I'm trying to see how long ground shipping will take.

Thanks,

Adam

Adamc1303
02/21/2013, 11:21 PM
One more question if the system is working and power gets cut off for a few min will it go right back to where it was at when power returns or is it reset? Does it have some sort of memory function?

Thanks,

Adam

GenesisReefSys
02/22/2013, 07:18 AM
Hi Adam,

The RENEW™ Advanced includes two level sensors that will monitor the water levels in your sump and mixing bin. The RENEW™ will suspend water changes if the level in either drops to the sensor. This protects the equipment in your sump and also allows your RENEW™ to perform exchanges until your replacement water is exhausted and new water needs to be mixed.

The RENEW™ Pro includes those two sensors but adds two more, one in each Metering Reservoir, allowing the RENEW™ Pro to reduce the time required for each exchange cycle when in Continuous (Rapid) Operating Mode. These two level sensors also provide yet another layer of redundancy.

If power to the RENEW™ is lost, it will be paused when the power is restored. All of the settings will be retained though, so all you need to do is press the yellow START/RESUME/CANCEL button to restart the water change. This is a safety feature to ensure that no accidental mishaps occur. Primarily, we wanted to prevent any scenario similar to the following example: Imagine an extended power outage that prompted a dedicated aquarist to fill their mixing bin in preparation for an emergency water change as soon as the power was restored. However, before they had time to mix in the salt the power was restored while they were away from their aquarium. If they had not remembered to switch off their RENEW™ after the power was lost (and if this safety measure was not in place), the RENEW™ would have dutifully resumed water changes - but this time the replacement water's salinity would be too low, and they would be giving their beloved aquarium an accidental hyposalinity treatment! We have prevented this nightmarish scenario by simply requiring the user to press the START/R/C button after power is restored. Better safe than sorry...

We ship from West Chester, Ohio, so a typical shipment to NYC takes two or three business days.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin

Adamc1303
02/22/2013, 11:40 AM
Ok just placed the order! Please try to ship today, I'm super excited!

Thanks,

Adam

GenesisReefSys
02/22/2013, 11:51 AM
Hi Adam,

Thank you for your order! We'll certainly try to get it out today!

Kevin

Adamc1303
03/01/2013, 01:22 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21225604&posted=1#post21225604

I really like this thing! A few questions I notice a loud clicking sound right before it disperses. Is this normal and just the sound of a solenoid opening and closing or may something be wrong with one of my metering bins? Also If it gets paused in the middle of operation say because a sensor picked up on low water how do I then just release the water that's in the bin. Meaning if it took out a half gallon and didn't completely fill the bin to disperse hoe do I release that water since I wont have new water for a while and I don't want it just sitting in the bin for a few reasons.

Also, I tripped the float switch in the replacement water reservoir just to check and make sure everything was working properly. The system reacted and stopped but when I hit resume it stared filling and draining all the bins continuously which caused things to get uneven since one pump is further and has more head pressure. What basically went wrong is that the metering reservoirs had the drains open on both for some reason while the fill pumps were working. What did I do and how do I fix it for the future?

GenesisReefSys
03/01/2013, 07:37 AM
Hi Adam,

Glad you're happy! The clicking you hear is indeed the solenoid and is perfectly normal. The solenoids in both Metering Reservoirs are probably clicking at exactly the same time, so it sounds like only one.

If the RENEW™ pauses its operation based on a sensor that picks up a low level in your sump or mixing bin, it should automatically cancel the exchange and dispense the contents of each Metering Reservoir. However, if you pause it manually by pressing the yellow START/PAUSE/CANCEL button it will hold any water in the Metering Reservoirs. You can resume operation by simply pressing the START/P/C button again and it should pick up where it left off.

If you need to dispense the water in the Metering Reservoirs, press and hold the START/P/C button for five seconds. After three seconds the lights will blink to indicate that the sequence is canceled, and after five seconds the valves will open to allow the water to drain from the Metering Reservoirs.

I've never seen the issue you described where the valves were open while the pumps were on. This shouldn't be a possibility. Can you reproduce this? All I can think is that the pump that had the higher head pressure filled one of the Metering Reservoirs quickly because there was more water in there to begin with, and the "extra" water was flowing through the loopback tube back to the source (not to the destination), which is intended redundancy. Once the level sensor in the top of the Metering Reservoir detects that the reservoir is full, the RENEW™ will turn off the pump. I'm interested in hearing whether you'll be able to reproduce this. If you can, and you have the capability to catch it on video, please feel free to email me a video directly through our website's contact page.

Have a great day!
Kevin

Adamc1303
03/03/2013, 03:57 AM
I can't reproduce the issue which is a good thing! I was probably wrong. Very impressed so far.

Adamc1303
03/03/2013, 08:28 PM
Is there anything I may have done that can cause the system to remove more then it adds back? Or is that impossible. It just seems like every time I am done my ATO has to add allot of water. This is when I am totally done I am not confusing it with topping off while i change water.

GenesisReefSys
03/04/2013, 07:13 AM
Hi Adam!

I think I know exactly what's going on, based on the last sentence. Thanks for being detailed!

I suspect that since this is at the very end of the water change, the sensor in your mixing bin has detected a low level. When it does this, it immediately halts the water change and opens the Metering Reservoirs to empty the contents. If the transfer pump in your sump has less head pressure to deal with, and therefore likely has a higher flow rate, the Waste Metering Reservoir may have slightly more water in it than the Replacement Metering Reservoir. As a result, after the contents of the Metering Reservoirs have been dispensed, the water level in the sump may be slightly less than before the last exchange cycle. The STORM¨™ will then top off, making up that difference.

This will only occur only if the water change is interrupted similarly to described above, and only if the Waste Metering Reservoir has a little more water in it when canceled than the Replacement Metering Reservoir. Since this will very slightly lower the salinity in your system, it is technically best to instruct the RENEW™ to perform a number of gallons that still leaves a little water over the sensor in the mixing bin when complete. However, since the salinity fluctuation is so minor or almost undetectable in a larger system, many users prefer to just run it down to the sensor anyway.

Adamc1303
03/04/2013, 11:42 AM
Makes sense because it does happen when I am towards the end of the bin. Thanks for the great and prompt customer support.

bnumair
03/04/2013, 11:12 PM
not to steal the thread but i have the same issue everytime i change water. my mixing bin is 55ga and i do 30gal water change there is plenty of water in the bottom 4-6" above the sensor.
everytime i do water change and after 30 gals ato comes on for under 10sec (never exceeded that yet). my pump in sump is 15ft away plus 5ft above while mixing bin is straight 5ft above the meters. in theory the mixing meter should have high pressure and more water but its not the case here..
so u see any other issue here?
thanks Kevin in advance.

GenesisReefSys
03/05/2013, 04:09 PM
Hey Guys,

This is really strange that you're experiencing this, and that it's only occurring on the last gallon of a finite change. I've attempted to replicate this every way I can think of on our systems and I can't get this to happen.

I'll keep looking at it and if I see anything at all I'll be sure to let you know.

If you want to determine whether it's adding more than it should, place a piece of tape on the outside of the sump at the normal water level, and then compare the water level after the water change.

Please let me know what you find.

Kevin

bnumair
03/05/2013, 05:47 PM
Hey Kevin
on my system its not on the final gal changed. say i do a 30gal water change. after 10 gals or so sump sensor light will start to stay blining instead of solid after each exchange.
after each exchange it should be solid due to simple fact that when water is taken out of the sump its low and light blinks and when water is replaced it goes back to solid.
in my case after few gals exchanges (10-12gal) sump level light stays blinking due to what i think is that with each gal exchanged renew is shorting some water (from replacement side) and then after 30 gals are complete storm kicks in to top off for few sec to make up for the lost water.
i know its happening over gallons not on 1 final gallon. a little shortage on each exchange. maybe its in the metering?

Note: i do have my starting point marked (which is also my ato mark and running water line) it goes down by few inches with each gal pulled. then refills back with replacement water and comes upto the mark but over several gallons exchange it falls short. so this confirms my theory of water being short in each successive gallon exchange.

GenesisReefSys
03/06/2013, 09:51 AM
Hi bnumair,

Check that both of your metering reservoirs are mounted flush against the wall with no "play" or "wiggling," and that they are level. This will ensure that they are metering identical volumes of water. If they are mounted securely and level, are you sure it's not just normal evaporation over the time frame required for the 10-12 gallons, and the STORM™ is topping off as intended?

Do you happen to know the volume of water that is replaced with the top off cycle you mention? Do you have your skimmer set up to perform more of a wet skim or a dry skim?

I'm certainly not doubting your observations! These are all just a few thoughts "out loud," so to speak.

Have a great day,
Kevin

bnumair
03/06/2013, 01:22 PM
Hi Kevin
i dont doubt anything u are saying, just trying to figure this out.
meter are wall mounted and flush hard against the wall. requires a bit of force to get them off. 100% level. checked with a level tool.
nope its not evaporation. as i mentioned earlier running level is good when water changes start then over several gallans exchanged it starts to get low and once finished with 30 gal change Storm kicks in for about 5-9 secs to top off as level in sump has lowered.
skimmer is not running wet. i have sat there and watched this just had not mentioned it till i saw this thread. it take 1 hr to do 30gal water change for me.
water levels are fine before start then it starts to fall short with every change.
the only thing i can see is that sump meter gets the water filled and overflow has just a few drops run back to sump while replacement meter gets full and dumps a lot of water overflow back to storage bin.
i am thinking maybe when the meters fill up, sump meter due to its far-ness from sump flow is low and it just doesnt fill up with a gush and overflow just trickles back to the sump. while the replacement meter fills up with a gush even though the pump is on the lowest settings but due to closer distance it gushes in the meter and when it overflows it probably overflows a little more than it should due to the pressure. just my 2 cents. other than that i cannot pin point anywhere else i would lose a few drops of water.
this will also explain that if i am losing just a few drops every exchange over 30gals it adds upto a few sec worth for storm to kick in for.(generally about 6 secs i have noticed)

GenesisReefSys
03/06/2013, 10:00 PM
Hi bnumair,

Great observations.

Here's a little inside info: if the STORM™ turns the pump on for 6 seconds, it really only required just over 3 seconds to top off to the normal running level. The STORM™ looks at the sensor in your sump and turns the pump off only after it sees that the level sensor is closed for three seconds. Obviously it does take some time to fill the tube before water reaches the sump, which will vary with the flow rate and length/diameter of your tubing.

If you know the flow rate of your top off pump, you can easily approximate the volume of water that is being "lost" over the 30 gallons.

I'm interested in learning what you find!

Have a good evening,
Kevin

bnumair
03/06/2013, 10:57 PM
now we are getting somewhere.
top off pump is a mag 9.5. it pumps 3.5ft up then 4.5ft across and 2ft down to sump.
i am sure its a minute amount of water lost as it has never impacted my salinity.
i have a digital refractometer so i keep my freshly made saltwater at 1.026 and it always checks out to be the same after all said and done.
Thanks
Mike

NH Fish
03/07/2013, 09:21 AM
Hey Mike
Wondering why you are doing 30 gal water changes. Thought you were on a 3 gal a day schedule. Was that not working for you?

bnumair
03/07/2013, 02:29 PM
Hey Mike
Wondering why you are doing 30 gal water changes. Thought you were on a 3 gal a day schedule. Was that not working for you?

Hey Dave
my sulfur denitrator had bad media, killed my corals fish are ok. been running carbon+polyfilter+30gal water changes every few days to get the water changed out all the way.
at 30 gal rate it will 19 times water change before i have 100% pure water.
i am currently on 15th water change.
then back to 3 day per day.

Hello Kevin
when i set my renew to do 3 gal per day it does 1 gal every 8 hrs. is there a way to do all 3 gals in one shot rather waiting 24 yrs for it. also let me understand this properly if i was to goto 4gal per day then will it goto 1gal every 6hrs and if 5gal per day then 1 every 5 hrs and so on?