PDA

View Full Version : Water Level for Super Reef Octopus RO-PS-2000INT

mougliblore
02/22/2013, 09:33 AM
What is the optimal water level for Super Reef Octopus RO-PS-2000INT? I am currently curing my live rock using this. But I don't see it pulling much gunk as I expected. Also, The bubble levels in the filter cup keep going up and down all the time. What am I doing wrong?

hazey62
02/22/2013, 09:39 AM
water level is 5 3/4" for that skimmer. If the bubbles are going up and down it would suggest that your water level is going up and down?

jabbott
02/22/2013, 09:52 AM
Their website says 5.75 inches, but the directions say 6-10 inches as long as the water outlet is not covered.
http://coralvue.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/01/SRO2000I-instruction-manual.pdf
Personally I'm going to go with the guy who wrote the directions over the guy who wrote the website.

Also the skimmer needs to be in a part of the sump where the water level doesn't change. So basically anywhere except the last chamber.

nikon187
02/22/2013, 07:47 PM
Their website says 5.75 inches, but the directions say 6-10 inches as long as the water outlet is not covered.
http://coralvue.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/01/SRO2000I-instruction-manual.pdf
Personally I'm going to go with the guy who wrote the directions over the guy who wrote the website.

Also the skimmer needs to be in a part of the sump where the water level doesn't change. So basically anywhere except the last chamber.

Unless your last chamber doesn't have a return pump in it, mines in the middle chamber. But yes a section that has a set water level and doesn't fluxuate due to evaporation.

jabbott
02/22/2013, 07:55 PM
Unless your last chamber doesn't have a return pump in it, mines in the middle chamber. But yes a section that has a set water level and doesn't fluxuate due to evaporation.
I miss wrote. When I said last chamber I meant the last chamber the water goes into in the sump.

cap032
02/22/2013, 09:52 PM
Optimal depth is 5.75 inches. Much deeper and you will have overflowing issues.

jabbott
02/22/2013, 10:34 PM
Optimal depth is 5.75 inches. Much deeper and you will have overflowing issues.
Not true. I have personally run this skimmer in 8.5 inches with no problem.

Dr Colliebreath
02/23/2013, 12:51 PM
I have found mine runs best in 5.75" of water. Thus, if my sump's water level is 10", I set the skimmer on a 4.25" shelf (acrylic or eggcrate stand). The skimmer is very sensitive to water level, so I constantly add top up water to maintain the sump water level the same. Dropping the water level more than 1/2 causes the skimmer to pretty much shut down, and raising it even slightly causes the skimmer to fill up with pretty clear water that isn't skimmed much, if at all.

The skimmer is sensitive to the water level at the output, which creates back pressure in conjunction with adjusting the gate valve.

I added a 5" piece of spa hose and a pvc elbow with a couple of holes drilled in it (both from HD) so the skimmer output is under the sump water level to quiet splashing.

jabbott
02/23/2013, 01:13 PM
Your talking about water level fluctuation due to you having the skimmer in a section of sump that doesn't maintain a constant water level. That is not the same as the working water level the skimmer needs to operate.
The section of sump the skimmer is in (any skimmer) needs to stay the same level all the times. (ie not the section with the pump, unless there's an auto top off system). Any skimmer when set for one water level will overflow or not work correctly when the water is raised up from where it was set.
The sro 2000 will work 100% in any water level from around 6" to 10" as long as the output was set for that level in the first place, there is no fluctuation in the chamber its in and the outlet pipe isn't fully covered.

becon776
12/14/2016, 11:48 PM
Yeah i sorry but that is just not true. Not true at all. Def not 6-10"

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk