PDA

View Full Version : Hanna Alkalinity Checker

puffdaddy_1
02/22/2013, 12:31 PM
Hi guys,

Ive heard good things about hannas alkalinity checker, but I remember reading somewhere that Randy said you have to curb the results for them to be accurate??? I'm not really sure about what they were talking about, can anyone elaborate?

PrangeWay
02/22/2013, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure if you do anymore?

I just bought one like 3 weeks ago and its results match perfectly with my API test kit, so I am happy with it. I have been thinking about picking up a lamotte test kit to compare to, but that does undo this years savings by going hanna...

PW

trinity1012
02/22/2013, 02:48 PM
good question i just recived cal,alk and po4 checkers today.ill compare to salifert and see.should be pretty close i would imagine.

Tron_954
02/22/2013, 02:56 PM
i tested mine to my salifert alk kit and its dead on... just 10 times faster and easier lol

Tron_954
02/22/2013, 02:56 PM
also looking forward to results for the calcium as ive heard that one is 50/50, and also the phosphate if its any good...

Signal151
02/22/2013, 03:57 PM
The Hanna alkalinity checker is, in my opinion, the best alkalinity test on the market. Same with the phosphate but just remember to make sure all the powdered phosphate reagent is fully dissolved before running the C2 phase of the test.

The Calcium checker is a different story. I've had it for about four months now and have burned through three reagent refill kits trying to determine a repeatable and reliable process. I'm very carefull to be exact when I run my tests. Yet my results with it can still vary by a wider margin than I'm comfortable with. I suspect I will be sticking with Salifert or Red Sea for my Calcium testing. Quite disappointing.

hazey62
02/22/2013, 04:00 PM
The Hanna alkalinity checker is, in my opinion, the best alkalinity test on the market. Same with the phosphate but just remember to make sure all the powdered phosphate reagent is fully dissolved before running the C2 phase of the test.

The Calcium checker is a different story. I've had it for about four months now and have burned through three reagent refill kits trying to determine a repeatable and reliable process. I'm very carefull to be exact when I run my tests. Yet my results with it can still vary by a wider margin than I'm comfortable with. I suspect I will be sticking with Salifert or Red Sea for my Calcium testing. Quite disappointing.

+1 - love the alkalinity and phosphate checker but the calcium checker is a pain!
I used Red Sea Coral Pro Calcium test now.

trinity1012
02/22/2013, 04:07 PM
well that sucks about the calcium checker...i better get a salifert to be safe.

solitude127
02/22/2013, 04:36 PM
I like all 3 (Ca, Alk, and PO4). I think for the Ca checker you need pure water freshwater to get more accurate results. Even with RO/DI water you still may get some Ca in the water which will throw the test results off. I'm fortunate enough to work at a hospital and have access to lab grade reagent water so I know this is pure water. And since I've been using that water, my tests have been consistent with Salifert and Elos tests.

Jacob Sellers
02/22/2013, 06:05 PM
+1 - love the alkalinity and phosphate checker but the calcium checker is a pain!

I also use the Red Sea calcium test and find it to easy and reliable. Hanna checkers for dkh and po4.

galoot
02/22/2013, 06:54 PM
Mine was some what sporadic with results and it broke after 8 months! I won't be buying another one.

seth_cooper
02/22/2013, 11:23 PM
For me, the Calcium checker is consistent with the Red Sea test if you use the "modified method". The instructions that come with the hanna checker will give very inconsistent results.

Modified Hanna Ca Checker Procedure
1. Add 1.0 mL of sample water to Cuvette A of the sample cuvettes using the syringe with the green plunger.
2. Use the dropper to fill cuvette A to the 10 mL mark with deionized water. Replace the cap and invert the cuvette 3-5 times to mix and set to the side.
3. Turn the meter on by pressing the button, all segments will be displayed. When the display shows “Add”, “C1” with “Press” blinking, the meter is ready.
4. Add 1 mL of Reagent A to cuvette B using the syringe with the white plunger. Use the dropper to add 8 mL of deionized water to the cuvette. Replace the cap and invert 3-5 times to mix.
5. Place cuvette B into the meter, close the lid and press the button. When the display shows “Add”, “C2” with “Press” blinking the meter is zeroed.
6. Remove the cuvette from the meter and unscrew the cap. Fill the syringe with the green plunger to the 1 mL mark with sample from cuvette A and discard what remains in the Cuvette. Add the 1mL from cuvette A to cuvette B.
7. Add 1 packet of Reagent B to the cuvette B. Replace the cap and shake vigorously for 15 seconds or until the powder is completely dissolved. Allow air bubbles to dissipate for 15 seconds before taking a reading.
8. Place cuvette B back into the meter and close the lid. Press the button. The meter displays calcium concentration in ppm.

Dr. Fish
02/23/2013, 12:02 PM
Before I bought my Alk checker a few weeks ago I read some reviews saying you needed to curve its reading against another kit such as Salifert.

I have tested mine against my Salifert kit a dozen times and it is dead on. Not sure if they made a change or not, but thats my results.

I would also suggest not using the tip that comes with the syringe. It fits so loosely that you can easily get inconsistent amounts while pulling the syringe. Simply use the syringe without any tip, works fine.

Braver69
02/23/2013, 01:09 PM
I use the Hanna checkers and I find them very accurate and mostly easy to use, the calcium tester is a pain, but once you get it down, you will be very accurate. Only down side is it displays Alk in PPM, so you have to convert it to DKH.

bnumair
02/23/2013, 01:38 PM
I use the Hanna checkers and I find them very accurate and mostly easy to use, the calcium tester is a pain, but once you get it down, you will be very accurate. Only down side is it displays Alk in PPM, so you have to convert it to DKH.

i made a conversion chart on excel and have a print out posted near my lab area. after test just look and cross check the correct row.

alk and ultra row range phosphorus are ok cal is no good for me.

Laborator
05/22/2013, 10:37 AM
Before I bought my Alk checker a few weeks ago I read some reviews saying you needed to curve its reading against another kit such as Salifert.

I have tested mine against my Salifert kit a dozen times and it is dead on. Not sure if they made a change or not, but thats my results.

I would also suggest not using the tip that comes with the syringe. It fits so loosely that you can easily get inconsistent amounts while pulling the syringe. Simply use the syringe without any tip, works fine.

For me the difference in readings with the tip was 112 ppm and without was 120 ppm in my tank.

I agree that you can get more consistent amount of reagent by not using the tip but will it lead to a more accurate result?

tmz
05/22/2013, 11:09 AM
I've been using the use the alk checker; like the digital readout and don't mind the extra math to convert ppm to dkh or meq/l too much. I'll probably do a cnversion chart soon, though.

It crosschecks well with the Salifert test. The Salifert test is: easier to use ( less steps, no curvetyes to handle and clean), less expensive and faster,ime. Reagent for the checker is expensive per test .

Meshmez
05/22/2013, 11:11 AM
For me the difference in readings with the tip was 112 ppm and without was 120 ppm in my tank.

I agree that you can get more consistent amount of reagent by not using the tip but will it lead to a more accurate result?

without the tip, I have always wondered, do you have to pull the plunger to the 1ml line, or get the liquid to the 1ml line...

jerpa
05/22/2013, 12:07 PM
without the tip, I have always wondered, do you have to pull the plunger to the 1ml line, or get the liquid to the 1ml line...

You always go by the plunger. If the tip of the syringe is submerged and you pull the plunger from the zero mark to the desired endpoint you will always have the correct amount regardless of the air to liquid ratio, assuming your syringe works properly.

GroktheCube
05/22/2013, 12:47 PM
I've found that it reads differently from my red sea alk test. Use use pipettes to draw tank water for both. Both are consistent, the Hana just reads ~1dkh lower than red sea. I'm now wondering if the issue is with the amount of liquid in the syringe. I've always drawn the liquid up to the 1ml line for both, and I'm now wondering if going by the plunger and ignoring the air bubbles would yield more accurate results.

That seems counter intuitive to me, as I assumed the syringe was calibrated to measure a given volume of liquid, not liquid and a small amount of air. Is my assumption incorrect?

jerpa
05/22/2013, 01:03 PM
I've found that it reads differently from my red sea alk test. Use use pipettes to draw tank water for both. Both are consistent, the Hana just reads ~1dkh lower than red sea. I'm now wondering if the issue is with the amount of liquid in the syringe. I've always drawn the liquid up to the 1ml line for both, and I'm now wondering if going by the plunger and ignoring the air bubbles would yield more accurate results.

That seems counter intuitive to me, as I assumed the syringe was calibrated to measure a given volume of liquid, not liquid and a small amount of air. Is my assumption incorrect?

The syringe is calibrated but we are only concerned with the movement of the plunger. When the plunger is fully depressed to zero there will be some air between the end of the plunger and the fluid you submerge it in. When you pull the plunger back to the .1ml mark you have drawn .1ml of fluid, because you only moved the syringe from 0-.1ml, but you will see the air that was present in the tip between the plunger and liquid.

bertoni
05/22/2013, 02:06 PM
I agree that the motion of the plunger is what you need to measure. As long as the plunger is pushing out reagent, not air, the titration should be fine.

Meshmez
05/22/2013, 04:09 PM

I get ~1dkh lower on my Hanna than on my API test(yes I know, not the best test out there) too... I leave the air in the syringe, because I believed that was the correct way to do it (which looks like it has been confirmed above)

mchud
05/22/2013, 06:11 PM
I have had one for almost a year. It works well. I do check it every so often against a Salifert kit.

broadwave
05/27/2013, 08:42 AM
The Ca checker is accurate for me. I know when I first started using it, it would always read 600 PPM. You have to really pay attention to the directions. At first glance when adding the tank water sample in the directions it looks like you should add 1ML of tank water when in fact it's .1ML.

Now that I am using .1ML my tests have been in line with the Salifert Ca tests.

woganaga
05/27/2013, 09:05 AM
Just curious what are the main benefits of the Alk Checker to the folks who use it/prefer it? Pretty much the one paramater i have always been able to measure easily, accurately and with repeatability is Alk using RedSea or Salifert (I am currently using red sea because it has one less step involved and find the color change is more "dramatic"). Basically ALK is the test for me that is not a "chore".

I use the PO4 checker and would not bother measuring phosphates if i didn't have it as i find it impossible to discern the color scale on other test kits.

The one test kit i wish Hanna made a checker for is Nitrates. I am currently using LaMotte (the one where you have to multiply the reading by 4.4 to get Nitrate-Nitrogen) but find it easier to read than Salifert and API (have not tried Redsea). Still "easier" means just a shade less than impossible.

bertoni
05/27/2013, 04:28 PM
It is pretty much a mix and wait test, so I guess it'd be easier than a titration by a bit. I have never used one, though.

neoh
05/27/2013, 07:15 PM
good question i just recived cal,alk and po4 checkers today.ill compare to salifert and see.should be pretty close i would imagine.

Don't mean to hijack the thread - but I'm curious where you picked up the hanna checkers? Directly from Hanna?

bradw6860
06/29/2013, 07:57 PM
My alk checker is displaying L.Lo (not enough light??), i've cleared out everything, im a tidy person.

Any ideas???

natron
06/29/2013, 10:11 PM
My alk checker is displaying L.Lo (not enough light??), i've cleared out everything, im a tidy person.

Any ideas???

Battery low?

bertoni
06/29/2013, 10:44 PM
I haven't used that meter, but changing the battery isn't a bad idea.

tmz
06/30/2013, 12:26 AM

Any ideas???

That happens when the zero(C1) process is faulty.

bradw6860
06/30/2013, 12:27 AM
is it a problem with the checker then? I've only used it like 5 times, this sucks! Reckon they would replace it?

bradw6860
06/30/2013, 12:28 AM
Sorry yes i changed battery, no difference

tmz
06/30/2013, 12:31 AM
Just curious what are the main benefits of the Alk Checker to the folks who use it/prefer it? Pretty much the one paramater i have always been able to measure easily, accurately and with repeatability is Alk using RedSea or Salifert (I am currently using red sea because it has one less step involved and find the color change is more "dramatic"). Basically ALK is the test for me that is not a "chore".

Plus: digital readout,no colors to interpret.

Minus: a bit more tedious tahn test kits;pricey reagent.

See post #17

yachtdr22
06/30/2013, 03:35 AM

Ditto & +1!

The Ca checker sucks..

yachtdr22
06/30/2013, 03:38 AM

Any ideas???

My brand new Ca checker kept doing that.. sent it to Hanna, it was bad..

Had them keep it as the Ca testing is a pain!

yachtdr22
06/30/2013, 10:43 AM
I have a Brand New, in the box Hanna Ca Regent Refill...
free to anyone who wants it...

akindbro4u
06/30/2013, 11:48 AM
Ill take it

sent from under the sea

yachtdr22
06/30/2013, 12:56 PM
Ill take it

sent from under the sea

PM me your info...