PDA

View Full Version : Fish Dying, what do you think?

gotfrogs
02/22/2013, 07:09 PM
I have a 2 year old 57 gallon reef tank tank that has been running fine for some time now. I purchased a potters angelfish from DD on 1/22/13 and added him to the tank without conducting my own quaranteen. A few days after adding him I noticed that his tail fin was a little torn up but I attributed this to one of the other fish in the tank picking on him. The tank housed a small foxface, a pair of banggai cardinals, 3 small b&w ocellaris clowns that I had bred, a six line wrasse and a royal gramma. I guess I really was not paying muct attention over the past few weeks but on 2/20/13 I noticed that one of the clowns was dead and the other was was in really bad shape (breating really hard, floating upsidedown and her fins looked torn up). Again I attributed this to somone fighting with them so I placed the two remaining clowns in seperate holding containers within the tank. Withing a few hours of doing so, the second clown was dead and by the next morning the potters angelfish was dead. Today the 3rd and last remaining clown has started looking like the other two clowns and is not eating. He has been physically segregated from the other remaining fish so I know that his condition is being caused by some type of bacteria or fungus. None of the other fish seem to be impacted but they are not out in the open as much as they normally are. Whater chemestry is perfect. What do you think caused this and what should I do. Here is a picture of the first two clowns that I took after removing them from the tank.
http://gotfrogs.com/images/FinRot.JPG
The only thing that I can think of is that the potters angelfish or some live brine shrimp introduced something into the tank. Please help!

http://gotfrogs.com/images/57 Gallon/fulltank2-1-13.JPG
Full tank shot from a few weeks ago.

jamesbaur13
02/22/2013, 10:08 PM
Honestly, I don't know. My gut is telling me the six line is beating up on your fish and they are developing bacterial infections due to the damage/stress, but as I said... I don't know.

gotfrogs
02/23/2013, 12:35 AM
The six line wrasse and clowns have been together for over a year with no problems so I don't think that is the problem.

jamesbaur13
02/23/2013, 12:53 AM
how is the rest of the tank doing since the last clown has been removed?

gotfrogs
02/23/2013, 01:25 AM
The 3rd/last one is still in the tank just in an isolation chamber. All of the other fish look fine.

MrTuskfish
02/23/2013, 08:32 AM
Any peeling or sloughing of skin on any fish.

gotfrogs
02/23/2013, 09:36 AM
I euthanized the last clown fish this morning. I couldn't watch him suffer any more. His tail fin was almost completely gone, he was breathing really hard and having a hard time staying upright. As for the other fish, they all seem 100% healthy. I will keep a close eye on them and report back if I see any change.