PDA

View Full Version : High mag without dosing?

meegwell
02/24/2013, 08:43 AM
My tank is only a few months old post cycle. I have only 3 fish and two small corals, tank is 90 sump has about 15g in it.

My alk has always been low, around 5-6 dkh. I do weekly 10 gallon changes with IO RC salt.

I finally got my first mag test. A salifert kit. The max reading from one syringe 1500 and i am beyond that. Im estimating about 1800-2000 by refilling the syringe.

What could cause this giving my tank?

Fwiw, a feed sparingly once a day. No nitrate, nitrite, amonia. Very low phosphates and i have macro growing in a sump. Water is crystal clear with little to no algae.

The two corals, a birds nest and a duncan, look great.

If anything, i am curious how this happens? I decided to switch salt to red sea and today will do my first wc with that mix. That decision was not driven by this issue.

Any input would be appreciated.

kissman
02/24/2013, 08:48 AM
could just be high in the salt. Have you tested a fresh batch of Saltwater? Make sure you are following the directions on the test kit. If the fresh made batch is reading that high I would have my LFS test the water to make sure you don't have a bad test kit

blanden.adam
02/24/2013, 08:52 AM
could just be high in the salt. Have you tested a fresh batch of Saltwater? Make sure you are following the directions on the test kit. If the fresh made batch is reading that high I would have my LFS test the water to make sure you don't have a bad test kit

Agreed. It would be really unusual for IO to actually be that high. It is possible that you got a weird batch of salt, but I think it's more likely an issue with the test.

Gary Majchrzak
02/24/2013, 08:59 AM
IO and RC both mix up high in Mg.

This is desirable IMO.

Additionally, if you're not mixing up ONE WHOLE BAG/BATCH at a time you might be getting uneven results from the batch.

With any saltmix, for best results use one whole bag/box at a time.
If scooping from a BUCKET mix the whole contents up THOROUGHLY before use.

As always, suspect test results and triple check.
Also triple check S.G.

IO and RC are PROVEN very consistent mixes and it's what I use. I typically get a dKH of 10 -11 on new batches.

meegwell
02/24/2013, 11:43 AM
Fwiw i did use two different alk tests....i bought the salifert kit because i wasnt trusting the IO test kit results (for alk that is, not , mag).

I have a new batch of red sea that has been mixing since yesterday, i'll test that and see what it says.

PrangeWay
02/25/2013, 01:41 PM
I finally got my first mag test. A salifert kit. The max reading from one syringe 1500 and i am beyond that. Im estimating about 1800-2000 by refilling the syringe.

I got a new salifert mag kit about 10 days ago and had the same thing happen, beyond one syringe.
I'm leaning towards another bad batch by Salifert, was going to pick up another brand mag kit to cross-check.

PW

bertoni
02/25/2013, 11:17 PM
That level is very high. Most likely, either there's a problem with the test kit or with the salt product. I'd get a second opinion on the kit before doing much.

PrangeWay
02/28/2013, 12:37 PM
As a followup I bought a Red Sea kit and sent a sample to AWT.

Faulty Salifert Kit: MG 1800

Red Sea = 1350ish
AWT = 1300

I'd definetly get a 2nd test kit from another brand if you think your sali is reading high.