PDA

View Full Version : SPS Coral Advice

rpritch
02/24/2013, 01:28 PM
Hello,

I recently acquired the corals attached. I know that they are SPS. One is a type of cap and the other is a type of acro.

However, their exact variety I am unsure of.

If anyone has suggestions as to keeping these guys alive and well I would appreciate them!

Thanks

Chriscro
02/24/2013, 01:30 PM
the monti cap likes moderate-strong light and decent amount of flow. they are pretty hardy though so i wounldn't worry much. place it near the top half of your aquarium

Palting
02/24/2013, 01:35 PM
The left one looks like an orange Montipora capricornis, can't tell what that is on the right.

In general, SPS require a lot of light and a lot of flow to thrive, as well as low nutrient levels. What lights, and how far down from the lights do you have these corals mounted? What is your total in-tank flow? A rough estimate for nutrient levels are your nitrate and phosphate levels. Ideally, they should be zero for SPS.

rpritch
02/24/2013, 01:54 PM
I have the retrofit LED system from Steve's LEDs. The corals are about two-thirds of the way up the tank (in the 14 gallon biocube). The phosphates are just about 0 while the nitrates are around five. I'm using the stock pump 120gph with two Koralia 240s.

Palting
02/24/2013, 02:19 PM
Sounds good! That monti cap will start forming plates growing horizontally. Don't put anything below it that requires light, as it will get shaded.

coralsnaked
02/24/2013, 02:44 PM
+1 on Palting and be sure to keep your foundation elements up as well, and minor elements should be maintained thru frequent water changes or by utilizing an all in one suppliment such as from Salifert. or a good nano 2 part from Kent

Merry Skerry