PDA

View Full Version : Lost Some Snails and a New Clam

rldcpa
02/24/2013, 03:11 PM
I went out of town for a few days on business and my son was in charge of feeding the fish. Instead of a pinch of food, he thought he could carefully dump some in and dumped way too much. He attempted to get a net and net up as much as he could but he said that there was still at least 4 times the normal amount of food left in the tank...I am guessing more.

Anyway, the effect of this was a huge growth of hair algae and my clam died an a couple of snails. All the fish are fine...in fact a bit fat. The corals look pretty good but not quite as good.

I tested my water today...which is about 5 days after the even and all parameters are fine, with no amonia and a very small reading of nitrate.

So, what spiked and if it did, what killed the clam and the snails? The only snail I see alive right now is the Fighting Conch. The shrimp all lived too.

Also, how could my water be back to normal if something spiked recently. The clam was new so that could be something else, but the snail dying means something did spike as I have had the snails since day 1.

Anyway, I did a water change and carbon change as it was the week to do it anyway.

Barrel Dreams
02/25/2013, 01:05 AM
Do a search on Pyramid snails. I'm fighting them on both my snails and clams atm.

keithhays
02/25/2013, 06:00 AM
Its unlikely that an overfeeding once is going to trigger a sudden outbreak of hair algae all by itself. Nitrates and/or phosphates would have been high before that unless he dumped in a whole container. I think I would up the filtration capacity all around and run GFO in a reactor or increase the amount being used.
Its likely you were just running on the knife's edge prior to the over feeding.

Tell your son I will take the payment via paypal. :)

bertoni
02/25/2013, 11:12 PM
I don't know what caused the deaths. My first guess would be an ammonia spike, but that's only a guess. The snails might have died from an ammonia spike or maybe from eating a toxic microbe that bloomed due to the high nutrients, but, again, that's highly speculative. It's possible that the deaths of the snails were coincidental.

rldcpa
02/26/2013, 08:19 PM
I was wrong...only 1 snail died and the clam - 2 that I thought were dead, were not. Everything is doing well but still have some hair algae. I need my tangs to get busy and eat it. I think I will hold off on another clam until after tax season ends.