PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID help

Big Dave PDX
02/24/2013, 04:34 PM
Hey guys!
I bought this as a BTA a few days ago, but I'm not positive it is. Some of the tentacles do bubble a little, but I know that's never for sure with BTAs. I have about a dozen or so BTAs in my tank, mostly roses. The colors on the base seem a little goofy to me. The colors are fairly acurate - can't find my camera so the iPhone had to do. The base is anywhere from brown/tan to a redish brown. Tenticals are green fading to redish brown at the tips. The oral disc is kind of a purplish color. Any help would be great to get a positive ID. Don't want to put it with the rest of the BTAs and have a brawl between nems!:eek2:

Thanks!
-Dave

Big Dave PDX
02/24/2013, 05:04 PM
Not sure if this helps with the ID but base is not as 'clear' as the other BTAs. Also, On the rest of the BTAs I can kind of pick out vertical lines or striations inside the base. On the one in question, it seems there is horizontal lines or wrinkles along the base.

I did find my regular camera - but of course it's got a dead battery, so I have it charging. Is there anything you guys want me to try to get a pic of the help ID? Let me know and I'll get some more pics up when the battery charges. Thanks again!

-Dave

garygb
02/24/2013, 07:37 PM
Yeah, it looks like a BTA to me.

Big Dave PDX
02/24/2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks Gary - any other opinions? This one doesn't look very much like my other green one - which doesn't mean a lot... Just asking for opinions, I've had BTAs for years but thought this one was a bit different once I got it in the tank and it opened up some.

Ron Popeil
02/24/2013, 10:04 PM
you didnt happen to buy that at upscales, did you?

Ostara
02/24/2013, 11:45 PM
Definitely looks like Entacmaea quadricolor (BTA) to me. I had one with a base like that before, and have seen others like it.

Big Dave PDX
02/25/2013, 12:45 AM
No Ron, I got it at SWF. Somebody had brought it in on trade. At first it looked like a LTA but there aren't spots on the base. The colors are pretty close from my crappy iPhone cam, there's definitely a nice deep green that doesn't show up though.

I was at upscales yesterday and almost bit on those baby red carpets they had, but resisted their charm!! Lol

This one seems perfectly healthy but not quite all of the typical BTA features - we'll see how the colors on this work out over time.

Anemone
02/25/2013, 09:31 PM
Looks like a BTA to me.

Kevin