PDA

View Full Version : Purple psuedochromis/purple dottyback

whodeydan76
02/24/2013, 07:06 PM
Hey everyone.. im not really a noob but I do have a question. I picked up an established 65 gallon drilled tank (corner overflows) that has a big assortment of corral and all the supplies...very few fish though.
The fish are 10 blue green chromis, a diamond goby, and a purple psuedochromis...Well I have had it running for about a month now I picked it up for a song... ($100 with tank, home made stand, 40 breeder sump with included baffles and fuge, bubble magus skimmer, mag 9.5, Led light for fuge and a 400 watt pendant mh fixture with phoenix 14k bulb (new) 80# of beautiful purple red and orange looking rocks, just covered in coraline)
Anyway... my dilema is my small blue green chromis started disappearing :mad:...I know the goby isnt screwing with them.. but do the the psuedochromis have a tendancy to kill other fish or make them somehow disappear? I have looked everywhere around the tank, overflows, sump... they little chromis are just gone.

Misled
02/24/2013, 07:54 PM
Yes, some can be very nasty. They won't eat them, but any scavengers will take over after the psuedo is done taking them out.

whodeydan76
02/24/2013, 08:49 PM
Perfect ...its an amazing colored fish...of course its an evil satanistic damsel like fool lol.

whodeydan76
02/24/2013, 08:51 PM
I was considering adding one or two to my cube once its ready...guess not lol. Thanks for the input.

Misled
02/24/2013, 08:58 PM
They are beautiful. I'd imagine two together would be terrifying!!!! :lol:

Anemone
02/24/2013, 11:10 PM
I'd bet the Chromis are doing it. They say they're schooling fish, but it seems that in our home aquaria, you start out with a bunch and end up with just one.

Kevin

whodeydan76
02/25/2013, 03:21 PM
Thats an interesting point anemone... It is the largest of the chromis that is still there... hmm

schatzi
02/25/2013, 10:39 PM
My vote would be for the Chromis beating each other up. This is a pretty common occurrence as you will see if you peruse the "check here before you purchase thread". Having said that I have 4 chromis that have lived together for a year and all still alive. Also have an orchid dottyback, allegedly the tamest of the species, and he's only killed a shrimp that wanted to take over his cave. Completely ignores all the other fish.

tanzer16
02/25/2013, 10:50 PM
Wow......that's great luck keeping four for that long!
And I thought I made the mistake of getting two for my initial inhabitants........that lasted for all of about three days.......one went MIA.......never did find him

T-dub
02/25/2013, 11:14 PM
My money is on the chromis as well. There are numerous stories about them killing each other until there is only 1.

whodeydan76
02/26/2013, 10:47 AM
Thats crazy I had no idea... but I did not buy these fish..they came with the established tank. I always research my fish purchases (within reason) and I qt all new fish, dip corral, and run a uv inhibitor.
I guess my question is would moving this tank cause the chromis to become agressive? I even tried rearranging rocks when I started noticing them coming up missing...

Redngold
02/26/2013, 01:00 PM
Thats crazy I had no idea... but I did not buy these fish..they came with the established tank. I always research my fish purchases (within reason) and I qt all new fish, dip corral, and run a uv inhibitor.
I guess my question is would moving this tank cause the chromis to become agressive? I even tried rearranging rocks when I started noticing them coming up missing...

I think you got it right. The move and change has probably stressed them out and they started picking on each other.

Mat1018
02/26/2013, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't count the psuedochromis out I had one that I just got rid of one of the meanest fish I had in my system and I have a damsel that isn't even mean to anything one of the most nicest fish I have. The psuedochromis I had chased the damsel attacked my goby and killed my canary blenny which really made me mad so he was traded in for that. It just all depends on the fish really you just have to catch who's doing it its hard to guess.