PDA

View Full Version : clownfish shaking/seizure dance

chelseabrook
02/24/2013, 10:39 PM
the smaller one follows the bigger one everywhere and they do this shaking dance around each other , does this mean they are going to pair up?

bjledbetter
02/24/2013, 10:53 PM
That means that the smaller one is submitting to the larger one. The larger one will most likely become female soon if it hasn't already. If they are swimming together and the one is submitting I would say yes more than likely they will become a pair. Just watch the larger on as sometimes they become agressive and will kill the small one during this time. Mine about took the fins off my small one while they were going threw this, but are now a mated pair. As a side note a mated pair may take years to become a breeding pair, or may never breed.

aandfsoccr04
02/24/2013, 11:54 PM
Agree with above. The shaking dance is the male submitting to the female which is larger.

chelseabrook
02/25/2013, 01:23 AM
Good to know. It was actually the bigger one shaking and the smaller one turning like on his side and rubbing his underside on the larger one.
I just got them both today I'm glad they are getting along so quickly.

Also I was told that since I have a pair of clown fish o cannot get any other fish ... Is that true?

OrionN
02/25/2013, 05:45 AM
Mature clownfish usually do not tolerate any other clown fish in a small tank. Other non clownfish in the tank is fine. How big is your tank?
Some of the larger clownfish species like Maroon or Tomato can really be aggressive but Ocellaris and Percula are very good community fish.

dc
02/25/2013, 06:21 AM
Did you get rid of the damsels?

chelseabrook
02/27/2013, 12:33 AM
Well neither are mature one is about an inch and the other is two inches. Ones a perc the other ocellaris. They are still getting along great and sleep next to each other and follow one another around

chelseabrook
02/27/2013, 12:36 AM
Nope no more damsels. Gave back to lfs they're just too moody. Will get other fish when we can afford. Maybe a firefish or flame angel , a mandarin, or small tang. Any peaceful blue fish? I miss the color on my blue damsel but don't miss his personality

OrionN
02/27/2013, 06:32 AM
Yellow tail blue damsel are OK. They are pretty docile and will breed in your aquarium. They are cheap and the blue is second to none.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/large/lg-70444-yellowtail-damsel.jpg

BlueFyre
02/27/2013, 08:24 AM
I have an azure damsel that is well behaved.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-88962-Azura-Damsel.jpg

chelseabrook
02/27/2013, 11:42 AM
A yellow tail is what I just gave back to the lfs bc he was so mean to my little clown... Could be bc he was there first and was bigger than the clowns...?

chelseabrook
02/27/2013, 11:44 AM
I'm scared to
Get fish now bc if they dont get along catching them is a B

cet98
02/27/2013, 11:52 AM
if you want a pretty blue fish, I would consider adding a chromis...maybe a school of them...they are lovely to watch ;)

LA has Blue Reef Chromis (as well as the common Blue/Green) and they are very peaceful reef friendly fish

Blue Reef
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-70119-chromis.jpg

Blue/Green
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-70197-blue-green-chromis.jpg

chris.scang
02/27/2013, 12:55 PM
How did you get your blue damsel out? I have one that I would like to remove from my tank too. They are certainly hard to catch!

worm5406
02/27/2013, 02:04 PM
IME chromis are a pain too.

I had 10 from after the cycle of my 120. I just recently got rid of them when I moved it all to the upgrade -- 180 g.

chelseabrook
02/27/2013, 03:32 PM
I had to tear my tank apart to get my damsel out

aandfsoccr04
02/27/2013, 07:56 PM
I don't think you should get a damsel or a clown. What size tank do you have again? (too lazy to look)

coreyg
02/27/2013, 09:18 PM
Nope no more damsels. Gave back to lfs they're just too moody. Will get other fish when we can afford. Maybe a firefish or flame angel , a mandarin, or small tang. Any peaceful blue fish? I miss the color on my blue damsel but don't miss his personality

You don't want a mandarin, they are for well established tanks with lots of copepods. No tang either your tank is too small.

chris.scang
02/28/2013, 08:48 AM
I had to tear my tank apart to get my damsel out

It may have to come to that for me as well!

cet98
02/28/2013, 10:48 AM
It may have to come to that for me as well!

try this first....use whatever size bottle you want but just be sure the opening is slightly bigger than the fish you want to catch ;)

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww309/cet98/FishTrap.jpg

chris.scang
02/28/2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the tip cet98! I will give it a try!

chelseabrook
03/01/2013, 11:31 AM
Well i already have two clowns. Im not going to be taking them back. I dont plan on getting a mandarin until my tank is more established. Im talking about FUTURE plans here, im not planning on adding all the fish at once or right away. How do i know when i have enough pods. I see them all over the glass and bigger kinds crawling in and out of holes on the rocks esp when the lights dim.
Right now i have a 36 gal. I plan to upgrade soon the only reason i havent yet is because we are moving in 9 months and dont want to move everything from one tank to another just to move it again in 9 months. I will be upgrading when we move since well have to move everything already. Not sure what size yet but prob 90 +.
Anyway.... I do plan to get smaller type fish while i have this tank. Like a firefish and/ or something blue.... not sure what yet. And maybe a small yellow fish or something for color contrast.
Suggestions on types of fish welcome. post pics. I dont know if id want to try a damsel again bc if it doesnt work i dont want to tear everything a part, granted the damsel i had was bigger than both my clowns....

aandfsoccr04
03/01/2013, 11:05 PM
yellow coris wrasse has nice yellow. (not sure on min tank size)
You could maybe true a blue assessor in your tank.