PDA

View Full Version : New Rimless 60 Gallon starphire tank

polyps222
02/25/2013, 11:09 PM
Just got this new tank and I am very excited to set it up but I have a couple of questions first. The dimensions of the tank is 30x24x19. It has 3 starphire sides.

1. I am planning on getting radion for lighting but I dont know if I should get one or two radions. I am also planning on getting a mp40 vortech.
2. What do you guys suggest for sump brand and return pump?
3. I dont know if I should get a sandbed, leave it naked, or get that black sand I forgot what it was called.

Here is a picture of the new tank.

http://i.imgur.com/IsP36Tf.jpg

Picture of my 8 gallon :)

http://i.imgur.com/MDXtROF.jpg

PistolShrmp
02/25/2013, 11:20 PM
Grats on the new tank, looks good. If you have money to blow I'd say go two lights. Mag drive pump could work for that size tank. I prefer sand, maybe go reef flakes.

geaux xman
02/26/2013, 12:38 AM
nice looking tank. Who built it? what kind of overflow?

Fish_Hobby
02/26/2013, 07:17 AM

That's what I want to know too...

thegrun
02/26/2013, 08:27 AM
I would go with two MP-10's rather than a single MP-40 for your sized tank. I run a Eheim 1260 return pump on my 50, it would work fine on your 60 gallon system, they are great pumps, efficient, quiet and do not produce as much heat as the Mag pumps. I would also go with two radions, a single unit is going to leave the sides without much light.

jr7168
02/26/2013, 08:32 AM
I agree on the mp10's I do that on my tank and my buddy runs an mp40 single and my tank is doing better. i know they all differ but it definitely is an awesome investment

Stephen73ta
02/26/2013, 08:34 AM
+1 on two lights and two mp10s. Do crushed coral substrate. Won't blow around in your tank and is calcium enriched.

polyps222
02/26/2013, 09:27 AM
Grats on the new tank, looks good. If you have money to blow I'd say go two lights. Mag drive pump could work for that size tank. I prefer sand, maybe go reef flakes.

Thanks

A local guy build it which he has been building tanks for like 20 years. It's called Aquatic Life Systems. It has a left side overflow.

I would go with two MP-10's rather than a single MP-40 for your sized tank. I run a Eheim 1260 return pump on my 50, it would work fine on your 60 gallon system, they are great pumps, efficient, quiet and do not produce as much heat as the Mag pumps. I would also go with two radions, a single unit is going to leave the sides without much light.

Thanks I am going to look into that pump. I am going to end up getting two radions :D

I agree on the mp10's I do that on my tank and my buddy runs an mp40 single and my tank is doing better. i know they all differ but it definitely is an awesome investment

+1 on two lights and two mp10s. Do crushed coral substrate. Won't blow around in your tank and is calcium enriched.

Alright so two mp10s? One for the left side and one for the right side?

thegrun
02/26/2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks

A local guy build it which he has been building tanks for like 20 years. It's called Aquatic Life Systems. It has a left side overflow.

Thanks I am going to look into that pump. I am going to end up getting two radions :D

Alright so two mp10s? One for the left side and one for the right side?

Correct. The ideal set up would have them on opposite sides of the tank aimed at each other (this is an issue if you want to view the tank from the sides which I assume you do want since you went with low iron glass on three sides), but you should get good flow with them both on the back wall on opposite corners blowing towards the front of the tank.

polyps222
02/26/2013, 02:21 PM
Correct. The ideal set up would have them on opposite sides of the tank aimed at each other (this is an issue if you want to view the tank from the sides which I assume you do want since you went with low iron glass on three sides), but you should get good flow with them both on the back wall on opposite corners blowing towards the front of the tank.

Thanks I think I am going to go with one on each side. I think it will be the most effective.