PDA

View Full Version : When can I plant?

Northside Reef
02/26/2013, 05:04 AM
At what stage in the nitrogen cycle is it OK to plant macro algae?

After nitrites are 0 or do I need to wait until nitrates drop as well?

Thanks

Amphiprion
02/26/2013, 08:55 AM
Any time, IME. They don't mind ammonium, either.

Northside Reef
02/26/2013, 09:41 AM
Really? that is awesome so I can actually start putting plants in the seahorse tank!!

Something living, that will be a nice change to the dead rock I have been looking at the past couple of weeks.

Thank you!

Amphiprion
02/26/2013, 09:58 AM
Really? that is awesome so I can actually start putting plants in the seahorse tank!!

Something living, that will be a nice change to the dead rock I have been looking at the past couple of weeks.

Thank you!

If anything, they'll reduce the measurable effects of the N cycle and help reduce some of the nuisance algae that can appear (probably won't prevent it, but they help). Just be sure lighting is reasonable and enjoy :).

Northside Reef
02/26/2013, 11:08 AM
I'll see how some cheato grows in natural sunlight. Although it is still winter here in MN I have some sun feeding the refugiums via light tunnels.

Amphiprion
02/26/2013, 12:23 PM
Wow, sounds like light may not be the limiting factor in growth...

Northside Reef
02/26/2013, 02:01 PM
Hope not, but I also am prepared to put some lighting over it if I have to. It will be interesting this summer though. That is going to be a lot of sun over them. When I was building the filtershed I never needed any additional light in there because it was so bright with the three light tunnels.

I have the call going in the club for some cheato. lol I should try and track Marc Levenson down. He owes me like a 5 gallon pail of it from years ago.