PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old duncan help :(

Vanquishxxxx
02/26/2013, 12:43 PM
ok so today i came home and my duncan wasnt open, all the 30 plus heads are completely receeded. on alot of the trunks, i see places were it looks like the skin is being eatin or like eroding away. nothing has been added to tank new except oyster feast, in months all paramters are great, all other lps are fine, and my sps and clam are amazing, fish fine too. anyone have any ideads?. am i getting worried for nothing. have to admit, those spots could have been there forever because in 4 years this si the first time during the day the heads are not fulling open.

philosophile
02/26/2013, 12:56 PM
Sounds like brown jelly...

Sorry to tell you this, but its usually not a good diagnosis. My 15 head duncan colony had gotten brown jelly on it. I saved it though. But now its a 7 head colony. You really have to be aggressive in treating it. First thing to do is to cut off every single head that has been affected. If all the heads have been affected, then the colony is lost. Might as well pull it out now, before it pollutes the tank.

If you can save a head or two, then do a good iodine dip, and dose iodine in the tank to help keep things a bit cleaner. Not too much though. Watch carefully over the next few days, to see if anything else if flaking off of the heads... if there is, well... repeat.

Vanquishxxxx
02/26/2013, 12:58 PM
whats cuases brown jelly?

cloak
02/26/2013, 01:01 PM
Here's a good article.

http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/brown-jelly-syndrome-bjs.html

Vanquishxxxx
02/26/2013, 01:28 PM
is there anyting else that can cause the tissue to disappear?. it doesnt look anything like the photos i have looked at pertaining to brown jelly. just looks like spots of skin dying. nothing is coming off the duncan just disappearing in round circle like areas.

Vanquishxxxx
02/28/2013, 04:05 PM
ok so been dipping my duncan 2 times a day in reef dip, and today finally all the heads are out and also ate. happy and hoping that it just keeps getting better

HBPat
02/28/2013, 05:04 PM
Good Luck. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I Love my Duncan and hate to think of losing it.

mayjong
02/28/2013, 06:21 PM
double check salinity, too

Vanquishxxxx
02/28/2013, 07:45 PM
Yea, started with one head, now has about 30-35 heads , would suck to loose it. And will do mayjong.