PDA

View Full Version : Yellow watchman goby pistol shrimp pairing off?

DieselDU
02/26/2013, 02:03 PM
I am wanting to get a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp for my new RSM130D. How would I go about getting them to pair off? Or do you have to buy them pre-paired off?

TL1000RSquid
02/26/2013, 02:54 PM
If you find them prepaired they'll usually stick together when released, but I've paired unpaired one successfully, you pretty much just wait and they'll eventually find each other

My last pairing was a YWG and Tiger pistol, the YWG had been living at one end of the tank the shrimp ended up on the other end when I released him but they were together in a week.

aandfsoccr04
02/26/2013, 04:55 PM
I had my YWG in the tank for about a year or so. I decided I wanted a pair so I picked up a pistol shrimp from the LFS and dropped him in the tank and within a few days they had found each other and were sharing the same burrow. No work on my end.

NewbyReefer
02/26/2013, 09:30 PM
I had a YWG for about 6months before adding a candycane pistol. Been together for over a year now.

Beefy_Reefy
02/26/2013, 11:43 PM
My YWG was kicked out by a pistol. Pistol lives with 2 zebra fish now. Every few months the YWG finds his way back to the pistol hang out but ends up with an injury and kicked out again. So luckily caught him and moved to smaller setup... He's grumpy.

Sugar Magnolia
02/27/2013, 10:19 AM
My pistol lost it's yellow watchman to a xanthid crab and was unpaired for about six months. I bought a pink spotted watchman and released it near the pistol's burrow. Paired up within an hour. :thumbsup:

Fish Biscuit
02/27/2013, 11:28 AM
I lost a yasha that was paired w/ my tiger pistol. I waited about 6 weeks before replacing him with the randall. As soon as the randall hit the water I could see the pistol's antennae popping out from one side of the burrow. The pistol opened up a door to the house right next to where the goby was sitting & the goby swam in & turned around to sit right under the rock. It took less than 5 minutes & was by far the neatest thing I have ever seen.

Fishmaster13
10/30/2014, 09:52 PM
I just got a paired yasha goby and tiger pistol off vivid aquariums probably wasnt worth the extra $10 but a wanted to be sure they would pair but if one dies I can get another to replace it and they will pair? Just in case

peasofme
10/31/2014, 06:04 AM
release them in the same area and they should find eachother. they don't always pair but they usually do.

Fishmaster13
11/07/2014, 10:20 PM
release them in the same area and they should find eachother. they don't always pair but they usually do.

Thanks! They are a great pair and get along with everything, even my maroon clown which was a bit shocking because he's a bit more on the agressive side. I definitely recommend this shrimp-goby pair to anyone. It's pretty cool to watch as the build their underground cave system

Betta132
11/07/2014, 11:26 PM
Find a spot up front and dig a small hollow under a rock, then put the shrimp in the tank there and give him an hour or two to burrow some. Once he's got a tunnel going, add the goby near him. That should do it.

peasofme
11/08/2014, 04:43 AM
yea. they are great to watch.