PDA

View Full Version : need advice on moving tank

rennne39
02/27/2013, 12:54 PM
I am moving my 125 gallon tank across the room I need to know about how to go about this. I guess what I am asking is there a certain way to do this

foundnemo11
02/27/2013, 01:34 PM
I basicall was planning the same thing. After watching an infomercial i thought maybe those slide things that come with the liftbar thing ( not right word) if on wood or tile flood posibbly draining as much water withoit disturbinf could be possible without having to tear apart everything.

It may not work but for 19.99 its worth a shot to tave a ton of time

jacob.morgan78
02/27/2013, 01:56 PM
You guys need to be careful. Most would definitely recommend not to move a tank with any water in it. It could very easily cause a seem to fail somewhere. Dont take the chance and empty it first and then move it. It's a lot but definitely easier than cleaning up a mess if something goes wrong. Even if you get lucky and it doesn't break while moving chances are you'll at least weaken a joint and it will fail later down the road.

just my 2 cents...

mcgrawjt
02/27/2013, 03:36 PM
I moved a 90 gallon to another room once. Definitely empty the water. Pick up a couple of plastic garbage cans and clean them well. Empty the water until an inch or two of the sand find a place to put your animals with some of the tank water and take out rock and coral to atleast halfway (the more the better) and put it in the garbage cans of water carefully. Also empty the sump if you have one. Once I did this I used about 10 1" x 4' wood dowels to roll it on. Just get the lead end lifted and start putting a dowel in and push, as it gets up (on a plane so to speak) keep putting dowels in and as you keep rolling forward keep taking the ones from the back and put them in the front again. Kind of like how the moved the blocks for the pyramids.

Just go slow, and yes turns were possible. But you have to have a good clear path and practically empty the tank. Think of it as a big weekend project and you get to redo your aquascaping a little.

Just my experience. Good luck.

John

sslak
02/27/2013, 03:42 PM
From moving my 58g across town:

Drain it all into 5g buckets and move it empty.

I had a fish bucket, a soft coral bucket, and a hard coral bucket, and many, many "rock and water" buckets.

In retrospect - since it was winter, I should have thrown out my sand and started with clean sand, I think I had a lot of die off and algae aftermath. Since you won't be exposing it to extreme temps, your sand be should be able to stay.

Have a big batch of fresh saltwater mixed up because some will spill, etc.

Allmost
02/27/2013, 03:45 PM
dont try lifting or pulling it,

it might not fail right away, but it will eventually ...

get a couple of Brute cans, they hold 40 and 60 gallons. empty and then move, and then fill it back up, you should be able to do this in half a day.

clean the rocks while you are at it to from detritus :)

Dmorty217
02/27/2013, 03:48 PM
You need to get something to put the water,rock,sand, and livestock in then move the tank and put everything back in. Tractor supply sells water troughs from 50-250g for relatively cheap. I have a 220g that I am setting up in the same place my 125g currently is so I will be doing what I mentioned above. Otherwise you have to cycle the tank all over again and most of us don't have that kind of time to wait

rennne39
02/27/2013, 08:08 PM
thanks for the help I just have one more question one person said to clean the sand while the tank is empty and leave the sand in the tank but take all the water out