PDA

View Full Version : Gig on the move after 1 year?

jscarlata
02/28/2013, 02:21 PM
after a year, if not more, in the same spot, my gig moved up on top of the base rock he had his foot under. my tank def changed, but its been almost a month since i redid the rockwork, but i never moved his rock. lights didn't change, but flow patterns surely did. the gig hasn't looked this healthy since i got it, but im hoping it isnt going to keep walking. already had to move some coral out of his way. i know he's now getting a lot more random flow than before, could he not like so much?

celamb89
02/28/2013, 02:34 PM
I believe gigs dont move too much, compared to BTA's at least.. hopefully it will stay in place

jscarlata
02/28/2013, 02:47 PM
Tentacles look shorter and fatter than usual

That hole is where it used to have its foot

I tools some short vids of the flow, need to go to photobucket and repost

jscarlata
02/28/2013, 02:53 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii152/jscarlata/B03CC167-4F01-4AAF-A62C-3AF952262851-7782-0000020AA16832E2.mp4

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii152/jscarlata/6FE6AA6F-2356-41DB-B785-945DB707DB6C-7782-0000020A8FC8AEA4.mp4

Doing this on tapatalk so hopefully I used the correct copy...I used the photobucket direct link?

jscarlata
03/01/2013, 08:36 PM
maaaan...its still moving. it went form front and center with a perfect view, now its in the rear of rthe tank, not idea why its moving...
do they shy away from too much flow? its not going up so it may nt be looking for light...
any ideas?

jscarlata
03/11/2013, 04:30 PM
Well, I guess he still isn't happy, but i like its new spot better, back in front

Matt1351
03/11/2013, 04:43 PM
Same thing happened to me. I got rid of it bc he just couldn't get happy after his move.

D-Nak
03/11/2013, 05:35 PM
What are your tank parameters? What kind of lighting do you use?

My gig hasn't moved in over a year. I keep my parameters relatively stable via a controller and dosing pumps.

Other than it moving around, it looks very healthy.

Pinkskunk
03/11/2013, 06:27 PM
look at the video i dont think you have enough flow..... maybe that's waht he needs?

jscarlata
03/12/2013, 06:43 AM
My tank is stable, currently working on balancing my nitrate and phosphate, previously the tank was over stripped and my corals were fading badly. I removed the rox carbon and reduced
My biopellet load. Results are as expected, algae and cyano blooms, but coral colors coming back ad well ad improved PE. Last tests my alk was 8.5, cal 450, mag 1500 have not tested nit and phos this week.
Lights are t5, tek elite, 8 bulbs; bulbs need replacing soon. I think it originally moved because it had too much flow, after I redid my rocks the nem was getting what I thought was great random flow, not sure because it moved. Now it's getting a great setup with flow from 3 directions. In use a apex for the tank and tunze 7096 for the pumps, considering adding a 4th 6055 but need other things first...have a big cuc coming tomorrow.

elegance coral
03/12/2013, 07:42 AM
My gig hasn't moved from the rock it's on in over three years, and I've changed tanks multiple times.

IMHO, there's something wrong with the water. We may not know what's wrong with it, but if my gig was to take off like that, the first thing I'd do, is clean the system and start changing water.

My tank is stable, currently working on balancing my nitrate and phosphate

No offence, but if you're working on balancing nitrate and phosphate, your tank is not stable.

I removed the rox carbon

This may have something to do with why your gig is on a walkabout.

algae and cyano blooms

Another clue that something is wrong with your water and needs to be corrected.

have a big cuc coming tomorrow

That's not going to help, unless the anemone gets to eat some of them.;)

If it were my system, I'd replace the carbon, remove as much detritus as possible, and start doing LARGE water changes until the system levels back off. When the system is stable and healthy, the gig will stop moving.

Peace
EC

OrionN
03/12/2013, 09:30 AM
I totally agree with EC

jscarlata
03/12/2013, 10:10 AM
ok guys...tks,
my tank is stable, my nitrate and phosphate levels have increased because i wanted them to, they were too low...as in my corals had no color and were starving. i took the rox offline because it was stripping too much out of the water, i'll be putting some back online soon, but not yet. my salinity, temp, alk, mag, and cal are solid and stable. i had my nitrates at zero and phospahtes at.02, too low in my opinion, so i shut down my extra filtration in my reactors until the levels increased. Its working too because all of my corals that were pale are now coloring back up and have decent PE, and those that were not pale have darker richer colors and better PE, there are a few threads on this in the SPS section. this nutrient increase has caused an algea bloom because i have no real cleanup crew, i had no real cuc because i had so little algae (and my mystery wrasse likes kilkling snails), because my tank was too clean...theres a sequence of events that are closely tied together.
theres no crash going on, the nem is not sick, its just looking for its ideal spot (obvioulsy), what i couldnt tell was whether or not it was light or flow that was making it move, im guessing flow because before i re-did my rocks the nem had less flow, once the re-scape was done it was gettting hit with more flow, then it moved the first time; lights have not changed at all. I didnt like where it settled, and it was still getting bombarded with flow, so im thinking thinking thats why it moved, time will tell....its been in this new spot since Friday, and i fed it some fresh shrimp this weekend.
I appreciate the insights, but my tank is not sick or crashing , its actually doing really well and responding in a way that i expected it to after the changes i made. I've been researching my SPS coloration issues for a while, and when i made the reactor changes, i knew an algae bloom was coming, just didnt know it would bloom so quick. the cyano is there because i have some deadspots, i made some flow changes last night that should alleviate the deadspots...only other thought i had was that its about 8 months on my current bulbs, so i know its about time to replace them, maybe the PAR levles dropped, but, the nem hasnt really made an effort to go higher in the tank, thankfully, so im still thinking its a flow thing...