PDA

View Full Version : CL pump went out

usmc121581
02/28/2013, 04:30 PM
So I come home to a dead fish I got yesterday and then go check out the big tank and noticed that my pump isn't working. It wa hot as hell and couldn't be touched. I am just hoping that something is stuck and because the impeller couldn't move it heated up. This was a reefflow barracuda I got this on a tank in 2008 and who knows how old it was when I got it.now I ask the question which pump should I get if I take this apart and find ou it finished?

Mark Bianco
02/28/2013, 07:36 PM
A pump over four years old without any issues. I take down my pumps every 6 months and replace the seals and every year I also put in new motor bearings. Oh yea I have Reeflo pumps one Tarpin and one Hammerhead Gold. IMHO They are the top of the line stick with another Reeflo.

Mark

usmc121581
03/01/2013, 05:23 AM
Ok, I was going to take it off line this weekend and clean it up. I removed the pump this morning and plugged it in, there is sound coming from the motor like it wants to turn. I am thinking it finally seized up or something got stuck.

Ron Reefman
03/01/2013, 10:35 AM
I've had a big pump (not a reeflo) lock up when it sucked in something and smashed it up. The debris then got between the impeller and the housing and locked it up. I cleaned it and it ran fine after that.

I also had a pump that was so old the bushing on the impeller shaft and the hole it fit into wore out enough that the shaft movement allowed the impeller to rub in the housing. I replaced the bushing and it ran, but soon locked up again because the spot it fit into was too worn and still allowed too much wobble.

Good luck. Oh, both Reeflo and Dolphin pumps are very good quality. I 've used both.

usmc121581
03/01/2013, 06:20 PM
So it's the bushings that are gone. Now that I know I should replace them I will be ordering some new parts and getting the pump to run good again.